Knife Shapes/Designs

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Coach

Knife Shapes/Designs

#1 Post by Coach » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:42 pm

What is your ideal knife going to look like ? Show me what you would want :)
Also some details re handle material and steel IE stainless or High Carbon ?

Mick Smith

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:45 pm

I've been looking for a photo of Erron's personal knife, I know it's pictured somewhere on Ozbow, but I can't find it.

To me, Erron's knife epitomises what a good knife should be like. It's a nice simple traditional shape. It's quite small, with a drop point blade of around 4 to 5 inches long. It's beautifully finished, albeit rather plain looking. It has beautifully grained wooden scales and it doesn't sport a finger guard. It sort of looks like a 'Green River' working knife, except it's more strongly constructed, with a thicker blade and the build quality is faultless.

I much prefer stainless steel blades, not because they're better, in fact I think good carbon steel might hold a better edge, but the sad fact is, I'm a slack bugger and every carbon steel knife that I've ever owned has ended up looking like it belonged in an iron age archaeological dig site.

I'm very partial to antler handled knives too.

I like 'em simple with a traditional shape, but small and well made. I just wish I could find that photo of Erron's knife.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Shadow

#3 Post by Shadow » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:29 pm

I'm a middlin' to large size preference myself and I like a good quality low carbon steel like L6 or a higher quality stainless like ATS or RWL 34. As to looks I like the look of the Puma white hunter or the British Jungle knife (MoD) for a middle size knife but I'm real partial to a well made and balanced Bowie. I know what defines a bowie is different for everyone, but that's why I made my own. Handle material for me has to be Australian hardwood, Western Myall is great for hardness but lacks some of the nice grain structures found in the different oak varities. Thick blades instead of thin and a good strong leather sheath is a must.

Mick

matt_d

#4 Post by matt_d » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:33 pm

Coach I reckon you were right on the money with your last knife, the small drop point in carbon steel. Not only does the shape of the blade look beautiful but it is incredibly useful. :wink:

It reminds me very much of my favourite knife - a Roselli UHC Hunter.
The Roselli has a little bit more meat up the front of the handle which I prefer. I love the birch handle with just a hint of curly figure, it's understated and full of character. I prefer the blade not to be polished (I particularly like what you did with the vinegar, it looks great :) ) and fairly thick in cross section to enable it to be used as a chopper and also get plenty of force behind it with my thumb.

Matt

Hood

#5 Post by Hood » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:43 pm

MickS is this the one your thinking of.

http://www.ozbow.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=672&start=0
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:50 pm

No Mick, I don't think that's the one. It's similar, but it has a thinner looking blade when viewed side on. I found that picture when I was looking. It's strange though, as I believe the knife that Erron ended up with was a prototype Ozbow knife.

Erron's knife is not unusual. There's plenty of similar knives around, but it was an excellent example of what I constitute as an ideal knife.

I really like my Puma Hunter's Pal too. It's a great shape and size.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

TomW

#7 Post by TomW » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:47 am

I like my own Bowie knife design, which after doing a lot of research seems to be a close as I can get to what the original Bowie is supposed to have looked like (but who really knows???).

I like them big, heavy, well balanced and sharp with heavy brass fittings and good quality wood handle. I hope to make another and better attempt on my knife this coming year. I just happen to believe that you can do more with a big knife than you can with a small one - but that's just my preference and no offence meant to small knife owners. :D
"You want me to do WHAT???"
Lord Cardigan's reply when told by Lord Lucan to charge the Russian guns with the Light Brigade.

Jaydo

#8 Post by Jaydo » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:49 am

In saying that though Tom IMHO, a small knife is more versatile than a large knife, depending on what your doing with of course,

for instance skinning something with an 8inch bowie rather than a 3 inch drop point, even though neither of these are designed really for skinning, im sure they would be used in a pinch.

remembering im going of my views and everyone is entitled to their own,
what works for some may not work for others.

although i do like a big bowie as well :D
A smile is priceless, yet can make so much difference

TomW

#9 Post by TomW » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:15 pm

No problem mate.

The best part of a big heavy bowie is that you can use it as a machete, an axe (in a pinch), a lever (if it's good steel) and a hammer (if you have a nice heavy bolster AND you can also do all of the other things you need albeit with not quite the same convenience as a small knife. :D
"You want me to do WHAT???"
Lord Cardigan's reply when told by Lord Lucan to charge the Russian guns with the Light Brigade.

Jaydo

#10 Post by Jaydo » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:46 pm

yeah, i agree, there is a heap more, non-intended use things you can do with a bigger knife, but as i say, for there intended use small knives are just as important.

again IMO

but its what works for me
A smile is priceless, yet can make so much difference

Chuditch

#11 Post by Chuditch » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:07 pm

I like the Khukuri shape for looks and all round tough chopping knife. Probably not ideal for skinning and boning something out but each to thier own I say. There are so many variations just in the Khukuri style knife that I can keep myself amused for hours looking at them all.

Apart from that I like the original KA-BAR USMC knife as a beaut all rounder.
Small knives/folders, Spyderco Wave Endura, and the good old Swiss Army knife. I also like the Pukko style Swedish or is it Finnish all rounder?
DjidiDjidi, Nullark Gullart Nyarrt.

jape

#12 Post by jape » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:24 pm

an 'all rounder' is almost impossible to design, I have a number of knives for different jobs and carry a three inch blade tanto, partly serrated, at all times except bed and shower.
But lets try:
have to be tanto with top swage or else a solidly built clip point,
with back sharpening of at least an inch so it can at least attempt skinning, piercing
not hollow ground perhaps best, for ease of bush sharpening on a stone/whatever?
at least seven inch blade
carbon steel
full tang
at least 5mm thick spine where enters handle so it won't bend and can be used to chop
rear bolster strong enough to use as light hammer
sharkskin handle (or other non-slip)
thumb rise
quillion
two inch brass fillet on spine leading out from thumb rise/quillion
to flat area on spine for impact if needed to aid chopping
lanyard hole
usb connection with hidden flash drive mp3 player and ten blue LED's
well I could do without the last bit