Making Micarta for Handles

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Coach

Making Micarta for Handles

#1 Post by Coach » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:19 pm

I had a go at making some Denim Micarta for my knife handles . So far so good :D
I was wondering , how do you bow builders or anyone else who uses Micarta finished it ?The slab, Image
I wet this piece to give it a finished type look

sticshooter1

#2 Post by sticshooter1 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:33 pm

Looks good I like it. How did you make it?<><

Coach

#3 Post by Coach » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:52 pm

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:12 am

That is interesting Jeff. It should look nice with a finish on it.

Jeff

Coach

#5 Post by Coach » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:55 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:That is interesting Jeff. It should look nice with a finish on it.

Jeff
Interesting aye :?: I gather you aren't keen on it 8)

timbow

#6 Post by timbow » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:19 pm

Great job Coach,
like the denim micarta,you do a pretty good job of grinding the bevels on your blades ,do you do it free hand or use jigs.

Cheers Tim.

evc

#7 Post by evc » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:22 pm

after shaping the cut ends of the denim are still 'hard' ? the fiber has been total saturated and glassed or could a little bit of dye seep into the cut ends of the fiber a bit still?

bsrecurve

#8 Post by bsrecurve » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:58 pm

i'd be keen to see some made with some of the various camo materials and how that would look.

let us know how this stuff works out in the long run as a handle material mate...

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:06 pm

I gather you aren't keen on it
No I think it looks alright. I looked through that link you posted on how it was made a couple of weeks ago and I thought the finished product looked good.

I look forward to seeing yours finished. :D

Jeff

Coach

#10 Post by Coach » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:11 pm

Timbow ,, the grinds are done freehand ,, apparently it is frowned upon in the knife making world if you use a jig :wink:

evc,, The ends still feel show a tiny bit of fraying ,, some sort of dye MAY still seep into it,, I don't know for sure . I know that I have to sand it fine to get a really smooth finish . I may have to let the resin soak in a bit more on my next lot to make every tiny little bit of thread hard .

Brian , I am going to make up some more with some Camo Drill material I have here , so we will see how that turns out . I am also going to use some black , and Tan and some brown , to try to imitate wood :wink: Once again ,, I wont know till I try it , there are so many variations on this stuff . I can even make a Damascus pattern by twisting the material before pressing it :D
Check out some of this guys Micarta http://www.aescustomknives.com.ar/docs/tutorial6.htm

bsrecurve

#11 Post by bsrecurve » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:35 pm

damn that Damascus is classy!!! :D

Shadow

#12 Post by Shadow » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:01 pm

You could do similar with some thin strips of leather with various shades for a tonal difference and using epoxy resin and pressure in the form of a couple of boards clamped together sandwiching the glued leather until it had set. It has a nice look to it too. Just a thought for you anyway.

Mick

Stephen Georgiou

Re: Making Micarta for Handles

#13 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Thu May 29, 2008 11:39 pm

Great looking material. I never imagined that you could do this with cloth. Can't wait to try it.
Coach, can you hep me with knife blanks in melbourne. I have seen some of the imported stuff but am unsure of the quality.
I have had a thing about knifes for ever but have only made knives for work. I have always kept them pretty simple but seeing the results on the links it has rekindled my interest.
Any help appreciated.

Coach

#14 Post by Coach » Fri May 30, 2008 5:45 am

This is the only supplier I know off http://www.knivesaustralia.com.au/supplies.html

Edwarddgrey

#15 Post by Edwarddgrey » Fri May 30, 2008 12:31 pm

I dont know how useful this is, however Micarta is used in jewellery applications by designer jewellers here in WA. I know one particular designer who makes the stuff with very thin sheets of alternating wood-colour linen and creme-colour sheets. It looks absolutely fantastic. Having done a BSc in Geology my first thought was that it was some jasper not a compounded linen/resin....truly amazing when done right.

If anyone would like the contact details of the designer-jeweller who makes it Im sure I can find out for them as I'm in the industry. This guy seemed to have refined his process to an art and knowing designer jewellers he probably would make and sell it to people if they asked.