The Best Way To Sharpen A Blade?

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Penno

The Best Way To Sharpen A Blade?

#1 Post by Penno » Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:06 am

I split this from another thread because it deserves its own discussion.

- Erron
Welcome to Ozbow, Penno!

The sharpening is a good question, and one that deserves a thread on its own. Anyone care to start it?

cheers,

Erron

Thanks Erron
have been a lover knives as long i can remember and have aquired a few good ones on the way,including bucks,vics,gerbers,seki and an old favourite a 25 year old shelham that still holds a good edge.
How do you guys sharpenyour blades?.

erron

#2 Post by erron » Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:43 pm

Well, since no one else has so far stepped up to the plate, I'm about to take a crack at it: I use a Razor Edge (from Dave Pender) and find that works magic on both broadheads and knives.

After I use it to take the blade back to a somewhat sharp state, I use a small file or a little diamond-edged implement called a 'Swiss Istor Sharpener" that I got from a hardware store, to put the final edge on it.

I'm no expert, so what do you others do?

Erron

trash one

#3 Post by trash one » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:23 am

Hay Penno,
I tried to write down how to sharpen a knife and when I read it back to myself I couldn't understand what I had written. I can sharpen knifes better than I can read and write.
I'd like to help if you let me know what part of QLD your in I might be able to help you out we get around a bit or send me your phone no and I'll give you a call.
Just some quick tips, use a good oil stone( but don't use oil on it use soap and water because a stones surface is like the poors of your skin and the soap and water lift and wash away the crud and stop the stone from blocking up ) and get a good steel and learn how to use it , never over over use a knife keep it on the steel every few cuts.

If I can get sombody who can write real good to give me a hand I'll try again. I'm no expert , 11 years in the meatworks working on sheep cattle pigs calfs goats and deer was a really good way to get practical knowledge and if that can help anybody thats good.

CATCH YA
BUTCH

Penno

#4 Post by Penno » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:58 am

Butch
thanks for tip,i live in Brisbane,a lomg way from you,I will try what you suggest
Adrian

trash one

#5 Post by trash one » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:08 am

Hay Penno
I'll be in brisbane in april or maybe sooner so if you need a hand sing out.

CATCH YA
BUTCH

pender

#6 Post by pender » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:38 pm

Hi Penno
I wouldn't recommend using the Razor Edge on good quality blades as you would end up turning a hunting knife into a filleting knife. I use the razor edge on broadheads then strop them on a piece of leather with jewelers rouge on it, just like the old time barber used. For knives I use a good quality oil stone then lightly steel the blade. If you are hopeless at using an oil stone you can get a kit for sharpening knives made by Lanski most archery or gun shops should be able to get one for you, approx. $60/70, they are foolproof. They wqill aso sharpen b/heads.
I hope I have helped in some way. Just remember the more work you put in the better the results.

Yours in hunting - keep your b/heads sharpe.
Dave Pender :P
Pender, Razoredge Broadhead Sharpener

erron

#7 Post by erron » Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:15 pm

I wouldn't recommend using the Razor Edge on good quality blades as you would end up turning a hunting knife into a filleting knife.
- Dave, do you mean as in taking too much edge off? Forgive the ignorance of someone who knows next to nothing about sharpening. Actually, I've sharpened an axe with your Razor Edge, so I suppose it might be a touch 'agressive'! :o

One of these days I'll install the Knowledge Base module of this forum software so we have somewhere to store articles like this for future reference. :idea:

Erron

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:46 pm

I wouldn't recommend using the Razor Edge on good quality blades as you would end up turning a hunting knife into a filleting knife.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Erron,

No offence mate but you better stay away from my hunting knives! :shock: :? :lol:

Jeff

MarkP

#9 Post by MarkP » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:02 pm

Thrash at the blade wildly with a red handled file. Change your angle of attack continuously so the blade can't second guess from where the next strike of the file might come. Launch your assault on the blade with vigour - but persist for no longer than 30 seconds. Find a bare patch of skin to run the blade down to test for a keen edge, then whip it back into its pouch before anyone else gets a chance to have a look at it...........

Penno

#10 Post by Penno » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:16 pm

Just cannot get a grip on the red handled file,but I will be able to take some of the advise given,cleaning my old stone with soap and water has helped and is giving a much sharper edge on my Puma Hunters pal,many more blades to practice on.

dave g

the best way to sharpen a blade

#11 Post by dave g » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:13 pm

Howdy Folks, I gave up trying to achieve a shave sharp edge on my hunting knives a long time ago & bought a Lansky Sharpening Kit..... truly an amazing piece of gear..... a shave sharp edge every time. The draw backs of these are they are a tad bulky to take into the field but are ideal to have at camp. If I need to touch up the edge on a big skinning job I carry a small steel on my hunting belt & touch up the edge with this & when back at base camp a couple of strokes with the Lansky & your shave sharp again. With a steel you actually create a very fine jagged edge while if you finish with the fine stone from your kit you achieve a super fine cutting edge. I envy you guys that can achieve a shave sharp edge by hand :cry:

erron

#12 Post by erron » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:05 pm

Jeff, you'll be right, you'll just have to do more fishing :)

ozlongbow

#13 Post by ozlongbow » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:20 pm

While I've not used one I've heard nothing but good things about the Lansky - will add it to the Chrissie list along with the grain scale. Oh and Porsche 911, what the hell!

Hey Penno - good to see you here! thrown away the sights yet? :lol:

Lindsay

Penno

#14 Post by Penno » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:52 pm

Lindsay
I am just getting a grip on shooting a recurve with sights............. and a leather thingy and no mechanical release aid so i am all fingers and thumbs,just went and bought a Lansky,and it came with 3 stones i will keep you all updated on my performance on blade edging.

pender

#15 Post by pender » Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:56 am

Hi Erron
Yes as you said, the razor edge can be aggressive and is possible to take too much edge off. Best not to use it on a good quality knife. Stick to hard work and sweat.
Pender, Razoredge Broadhead Sharpener

ozlongbow

#16 Post by ozlongbow » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:16 am

Penno
Ah before you know it you'll chuck the sights and get a longbow. Come away from the Dark Side!
L

trash one

#17 Post by trash one » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:40 am

Hay dave g
maybe your steel is to agressive if it leaves a fine jagged edge.
CATCH YA
BUTCH

erron

#18 Post by erron » Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:45 pm

Thanks Dave, as I thought.

Isn't anything easy?

:lol:

Erron

Penno

#19 Post by Penno » Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:58 pm

Lindsay
aquired a new training bow,albeit made of fibreglass and red and no sights one string and a small handle un-offset with no actual arow rest some call it a shelf,i call it a traiming bow, try and keep it to your self.
and the knife sharpening has come to new hieghts should be able to cut something real soon,.

Penno