Handle Woods

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Coach

Handle Woods

#1 Post by Coach » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:07 pm

Does anybody know where I could get some exotic woods for some knife handles ? Doesn't have to be large pieces .

jape

#2 Post by jape » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:35 pm

http://www.knivesaustralia.com.au/supplies.html#grip

You can get scales, blocks etc. of about 18 different woods, plus diamond wood, stone scales, synthetic, micarta and much more. And of course, knives, as blanks or finished (including KBAR and other well known brands), and all the tools. Often cheaper than you see the same items secondhand.
They are fast if necessary, and honest and Australian.
jape

Coach

#3 Post by Coach » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:52 pm

Thanx Jape :D

Stewart Townsend

#4 Post by Stewart Townsend » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:37 pm

You could try this man.

Eugene Dimitriadis

Xylo-australis Sales

xylo@dcsi.net.au

through

http://www.akg.org.au/

jindydiver

#5 Post by jindydiver » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:42 pm

Eugene has a great selection :)

You can also do well at your local joinery shop. They often get all sorts of odd timber in for peoples special jobs and have bit laying around that are big enough for knife handles. I have scored huon pine, king billy pine and purple heart from one of my local joiners :)
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Shadow

#6 Post by Shadow » Tue May 01, 2007 8:26 pm

Texas Knifemakers Supplies has a lot of exotic handle materials. Unfortunately they are american. I've always used Australian timbers on my knives although I do have a set of African Ebony scales that I'm keen to see on a knife too. That was sourced from the Australian Knife Collectors supplies (AKC) along with my knife steels, pins, rivets etc.

Mick