Whats your favourite knife??......

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

JensenEliteBlades

Whats your favourite knife??......

#1 Post by JensenEliteBlades » Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:04 pm

......and what do you use the most??

come on guys so what dont you leave home without? whether it be an everyday carry (edc) or what you use in the field.

thanks
Last edited by JensenEliteBlades on Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Griffo

#2 Post by Griffo » Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:15 pm

It would have to be my Schrade Old Timer that my brother gave me for christmas a few years ago...a fair whack of sentimentality attached there too :wink:

Griffo

Mark

#3 Post by Mark » Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:03 pm

Just a self-made skinner/all rounder. Sits on my hip when ever head bush.

Mark K.

gundy

#4 Post by gundy » Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:56 pm

Well, you pretty much know what I carry Pete, the large Hunter/Camp util you made for me. I will try and get a pic of that up tonight. If I am in a real traditional mood, the old fashioned Scagel style knife by treeman, but she is retired now.

Hell, I like knives! I would carry 10 if I thought it sensible. There is something about a good knife and it's simplicity with design and what you can do with one that I have always liked since a kid.

Maybe a flint knapped knife in future that I have made - sweet!

JensenEliteBlades

#5 Post by JensenEliteBlades » Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:32 pm

Gundy... looking forward to seeing more of your great photography (and your new satin BEAST should be finished this weekend)

Mark and Griffo..... can you post some pics too?

Hoytman

#6 Post by Hoytman » Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:56 pm

I take 2 knives when i hunt. A small oldtimer for skining small animals and delicate areas on larger game. The second one is an old 'Bowie' that was a friends. It's good for smashing bone and taking off heads etc.

I would really like a large heavy duty knife that has a drop point. Haven't been able to find what i like though. I have thought about making my own but i think i lack both the time and the knowledge.

Brad

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:05 pm

Since way back in the 1980's I have always carried my Kershaw folder. I don't know the model name. It has about a four inch drop point blade. It has done everything in the field from skinning, butchering and removing heads and tusks.

For the last few years I have also been carrying a Leatherman Wave. I virtually do not have a day that it is not on my belt. It is one of the most versatile tools I have ever known.

Jeff

Bullwinkle

#8 Post by Bullwinkle » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:15 pm

Since about 95 I carried an Scrade Deer Skinner but as time went on I realised I didn't need such a big blade so I bought a new Puma, I never felt a connection when I held it in my handsa and it was a #@@$@ to keep an edge on so I moved on. About 12 months ago I bought a Helle knife, and I can't say enough about it. It has everything I like in a blade but most of all it feels right. It is about about a 4" drop point as well only it is a fixed blade, the nice thing I like about it is the handle is the right size for normal hands not for little girly hands :lol:

I agree with Jeff about carring one of the good quality multi tools on the market, mine is of Gerber origin and I use it for all my fishing and hunting outings. Like jeff said they are as handy as for all types of things.
Attachments
2picture.jpg
2picture.jpg (26.5 KiB) Viewed 8263 times
Last edited by Bullwinkle on Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:25 pm

Fenton,

What wood is used in the handle. Is it Osage? Thanks. Jeff

Bullwinkle

#10 Post by Bullwinkle » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:30 pm

I am pretty sure it is Curly Birch. I am going to get another one, but this time I will get one with a Cocobola handle.

erron

#11 Post by erron » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:46 pm

Mmmn, nice knife!

The handle is pretty too. Just as well it's big or a girl might pinch it, eh?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Erron

Griffo

#12 Post by Griffo » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:29 am

Hey winkle :wink: ...

...big bloke...big handle...

Griffo

Bullwinkle

#13 Post by Bullwinkle » Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:50 pm

If they can get past my wide load they are welcome to it erron :lol:

What are you tryin to say oh white one, I'm fat :( You fellas will give me a complex :lol: :lol:

Griffo

#14 Post by Griffo » Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:01 pm

...aaaarrrrgh there she is....my white whale :lol: :) :D :?: :?:

adam

#15 Post by adam » Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:59 am

I use a buck knife skinner I picked up in america. And a gerber wood saw with changeable bone saw that cuts easily through boars jaws billys sculls and more. Both hold a good edge. Would love to make my own real tradish knife just a matter of getting materials and knowlegde of knife making. I use the wood saw when tree standing or setting up the scouting camera.
True Wild Range Traditional Bowhunter

trash one

#16 Post by trash one » Thu Oct 02, 2003 3:23 pm

I carry a green river 5 inch sheep skiner and a steel,as a slaughterman for 11years I found the green river knifes to be the best I've used, understanding how a stone and a steel work on your knife makes a big difference in getting the best out of any knife. We have courses on knife sharpening at the TRASH shoots,it's always good to learn the whats and whys.
I like Jeff carry a leatherman as well.
CATCH YA
BUTCH

Tuffcity

#17 Post by Tuffcity » Sat Oct 11, 2003 2:10 am

I carry 2 knives. One a custom from Finland and the other a Buck 'Skinner'. I've used them on everything from birds to bears & mountain sheep to moose. I also usually have a folding pruning saw in my pack for pelvis and vertibrae.

The wood handled one is my primary field dressing utensil.
RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

Glenn Newell

#18 Post by Glenn Newell » Sat Oct 11, 2003 5:57 am

Butch I have used green river for years as well, good knives. A roo shooter I met showed me his green river he used for skining and he had a piece of square steel welded onto the back end of his knife handle that he use to basically punch the skins off once all of the cuts were made. He use to maganatize the blades as well, he said that this would make the burr on the blade stand up better when he steeled it. I'm not sure if the burr was staying on or the burr was coming off when he steeled it...Glenn...

erron

#19 Post by erron » Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:02 am

Richard,

nice photo of your knives there! I really like the look of the wood handle one.

Must get a decent knife for skinning, all I have at the moment is a thing that's more useful for filleting fish. (I have more luck fishing than hunting :( )

Erron

trash one

#20 Post by trash one » Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:04 am

Hay Glenn, yes those green river knifes are tops.
Those roo shooters know there stuff and use the gear that is going to make their job easier (but I have seen some who like to do twice as much to get half as much done),some of the old timer used to magnatize their knifes or their steels but now most steels are magnatizedwhen you buy them.
The steel stands the edge back up(the roo shooter called it burred we call it the curled edge) that is what the steels job is and the stone dose the sharpening,and grinding wheel takes care of the shoulder you need a bigger shoulder for working on things that are harder on your knife like sheep,hair wool and rubbish in them are real killers of the edge, also a rougher steel is used with the bigger shoulder and when working on cattle you use a smaller shoulder and finer steel.

Glenn it was good to have a yarn with you and Keith at the T/ville shoot awhile back and listen to your B/S or was it you having to listening to my B/S stories. I'll be poking around your part of the scrub in april,my daughter is turning 21 then and she is living in Brisbane. MATE this has taken me over an hour to do I'm not game to press spell check or I'll be here another hour, I hope this makes sence if not remember I'm just a dumb meatworker doing a bit of mining.

CATCH YA
BUTCH

Tuffcity

#21 Post by Tuffcity » Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:55 am

Erron,

The wood one is my favourite (shhh, don't tell the other one) it fits in my hand rather nicely and it's short enough that I can get my finger over the tip to unzip critters without puncturing anything nasty. Also handy when your hands are up inside the chest cavity and you're cutting by brail...

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

erron

#22 Post by erron » Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:02 am

Yes, I was imagining how it would work with the cutaway handle and so on, how it would fit in the hand, it just had 'the look' if you know what I mean...

:)

Erron

Glenn Newell

#23 Post by Glenn Newell » Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:23 pm

G'day Butch, I'm just a dumb chippy mate, I know what angles and how to sharpen wood chisels for different timbers but haven't got a clue about sharpening knives or even how to use one properly, I didn't know there was so much to it. Let me know when when you are coming down Butch and we can talk some more b/s if you have the time, I will be doing a bit of hunting in April maily the first couple of weeks...Glenn...

RICKO

#24 Post by RICKO » Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:24 am

I have a knife that is now 10 years old,made for me by my mate,(this was one of his first attempts),he gave this knife to me fo knicks,to scared to take it out into the bush incase i loose it,but as he has said many time "it was made to use so use it,"he has now made heaps of knives and they look great,mine has a sambar deer antler handle,he also uses different types of wood,ad other deer antler for the handles,he designs his own blades etc,but there is a huge amount of work in this caper,many hours to get the knife to the finished stage,Will try and get a photo of some of his knives and post here

gundy

#25 Post by gundy » Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:31 am

looking forward to these pics Ricko!

erron

#26 Post by erron » Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:33 am

Hi RICKO!

Not sure if I’ve said welcome to you yet, but welcome you are!

:)

I second Gundy’s request for photos, if you can manage it…

Erron

Silverfox.

#27 Post by Silverfox. » Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:19 pm

G'day All,

Well I just ordered one of Peter Jensen's well made knives. It will be a all-rounder type blade, it will see survice in the hunting area as well as my ever boring day job! Later on I wish to order another one ( The Evo ) but my better half better not read this or I'll be armless :shock: !

I normally hump around the bush ,when hunting 4 legged animals, a leatherman; an old timer drop point folder; and a very nice 4" drop point skinner hand crafted by a lad in Cairns , given to me from a very close mate of mine for a B'day gift. I would post a pic on here as soon as I work out this puter thingy :?

gundy

#28 Post by gundy » Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:34 pm

Hey SF, I just ordered an EVO with a couple of small mods to suit me from Peter.

I have used Pete's original one and they are great!

You can email the pics to me if you want them put up until you tame the comp...

guy@ip-australia.com

RICKO

My knife

#29 Post by RICKO » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:57 pm

some photos of the knife my mate made, way back in 1992,this was one of the first he made,he has made many since then,I will try and get photos of his knives and try and put them here

Ricko
Attachments
Knife1.jpg
Knife1.jpg (12.8 KiB) Viewed 7116 times

RICKO

Knife

#30 Post by RICKO » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:05 pm

same knife, I keep vaseline on the blade,this has a sambar deer antler,I have not used it much over the 10 years i have had this knife to scared i might lose it.
Ricko
Attachments
knife2.jpg
knife2.jpg (13.09 KiB) Viewed 7111 times
knife3.jpg
knife3.jpg (12.57 KiB) Viewed 7111 times