3 Garden Shear Knives

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

perry

3 Garden Shear Knives

#1 Post by perry » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:21 am

Finished this Knife and Sheath last week, it has a 4" Blade. I Ground and Filed the Knife from a set of Sheffield Steel Garden Shears that Greybeard gave me. No great Skills here Folks. I used my 4" Bench Grinder to re profile the Shears until the Blade started to get to hot to hold in my fingers, dunked in water and then repeated until the Grinding was done to preserve the Temper. I then spent hours leaning over a File and Wet Stone getting the Profile and Bevel to what I wanted. I changed the Profile of the Shears so it would resemble a Viking Saux as much as the Shears Profile would allow.

The Scales are cut from a broken Bamboo Cutting Board that I rubbed Vegetable Oil into and sealed with Super Glue. Because I did not Anneal the Steel before I started this Project I ground a Slot to facilitate the 3 Pins. I used Steel Nails from Picture Hanging Hooks

Garden Shears have a single Bevel, this set was thick enough to allow me to grind a double Bevel onto the Blade. I guess you'd call it a Scandi Grind. I wanted a thick Bevel for Strength, don't like Hollow Ground Blades. I honestly believe through years of Hunting experience that you do not need a Shaving Sharp Knife in the Bush. The few microns thinner a Hollow Ground Edge is is not worth my time in my opinion. Having said that this Knife has great Steel in it. I have got it Scary Sharp, shaves hair under it's own weight sliding down my Arm

The Cross Draw Sheath is made from Kangaroo Rawhide and a pice of Split Veg Tanned Hide. I cut the Lace from a Disk of Rawhide using a set of Scissors and then used my favourite Mexican Braid Stitch for the Edge. Upon reflection I am not sure I like the Crossdraw Sheath so will make a Dandle type Sheath as per the 2nd Photo and my previous Garden Shear Knife that I left Single Bevel. That Knife helped Butcher a Goat a couple of Months back and I was very impressed with how functional the Saux type Profile is. This 2nd Knife has a 4.5" Blade and is made from a different set of Shears. Scales are from a piece of Broken hardwood Pallet and I kept the Single Bevel. I tell you I am so impressed with these Dangle type Sheaths, they carry so well you forget they are on your Belt.

This was the first Garden Shear Knife I made, Blades 8" long, same Shears as previous Knife. I recently made another Sheath for it reminiscent of the type used during the Fur Trade Era in America

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

bigbob

Re: 3 Garden Shear Knives

#2 Post by bigbob » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:24 pm

Nice work Jacko!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

gazza

#3 Post by gazza » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:11 pm

nice work as usual mate ,I never met anyone as prolific as you when your in the mood to create ,gazza.
The older i get the better i was

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:42 pm

Looking good :biggrin: