Conflict Blades

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

hardgainer

Conflict Blades

#1 Post by hardgainer » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:50 pm

Just wondered if anyone on the site is a collector or interested in the conflict knives of WW1...WW2...Korea....Vietnam.
Mainly blades that have some provenance.. or history of the vet that carried.
Cheers

Mick Smith

Re: Conflict Blades

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:28 pm

That's an interesting pursuit Tony. I have an interest in militaria myself and I often look at the various pieces of equipment in shops and museums and wonder who used them and what their history was. Unfortunately that sort of information is much rarer than the actual equipment though.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

hardgainer

#3 Post by hardgainer » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:25 pm

Agree'd ...and understand Mick. I have been fortunate in getting a few stories from many Vet families in the USA with knives that were carried in many campaigns in the Pacific and Euro theatre.
Just located a blade that was carried by a Army Captain (Infantry 26th Reg 1st Div AEF that was in action Brabrant Oct 1918.
He was awarded the Silver Star for gallantry in action while assisting wounded to shelter.
The sheath is plated with his name and rank a real find. His name is logged is USA silver star recipients AEF.
The big problem with military interest is in any area is the amount of fakes and copies they are rampant.
So many of the medals ...patches ...reproductions ect out there are crap.

gazza

#4 Post by gazza » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:14 am

hi .I picked an interesting knife a t the local markets a few years back, it only had one scale on it and was in a metal scabbard so I assumed it was military. by the look of it someone had been using it to open paint tins with it the tip was bent I tried to tease it back straight but the last half inch of the blade snapped off .I have reshaped the blade and replaced the scales ,after cleaning up the blade it has german markings on it turns out it is a ww2 trench knife made by hugo holler,i,ll post some pics latter ,I saw one of these knivesat a show it had a $900 price tag!!!.cheers gazza.
The older i get the better i was

hardgainer

#5 Post by hardgainer » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:08 am

WOW.....that would be some find Gazza.....a fine old knife being brought back to life ...there would be a story there......Holler sure goes for big bucks these days.
I bet there are many collectables still out there wasting away.
Good one
Cheers

Roadie

#6 Post by Roadie » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:21 pm

Hi Tony, I have recently off loaded a Bayonet from my Genuine 1856, 3 Banded, 58 Calibre, Black powder Musket. The Musket was produced in Belgium, under Licence for Queen Victoria.
Yes Jeff, I know this is an Archery Site. Cheers Roadie.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:32 pm

Roadie wrote:Yes Jeff, I know this is an Archery Site. Cheers Roadie.
Yes but this is being discussed in the appropriate forum. :biggrin:

Jeff

BernieQ

#8 Post by BernieQ » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:08 pm

I have a knife from my Dad he was captured by the Germans in Egypt 2WW. He was in the 2/3rd anti-tank.
Transferred thru to Italy and escaped to Switzerland.
All I know of the knife was that Dad said he got it from a German?
Its about 7/8 inch's long and has made in Germany on it.
My old man never said a lot about those times. Dad took the story to his grave.
Bernie.

gazza

#9 Post by gazza » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:26 pm

hi I know it took me a while but here are the photos of my trench knife cheers gazza.
Attachments
P1020073(1).JPG
P1020073(1).JPG (284.43 KiB) Viewed 6703 times
P1020071(1).JPG
P1020071(1).JPG (191.55 KiB) Viewed 6703 times
The older i get the better i was

hardgainer

#10 Post by hardgainer » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:38 pm

Thanks for reply's those knives/Bayonet you have will no doubt carry a great story .......Gazza a great resurrection one to treasure. Thanks for posting.
Tony S