Some just finished

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

wal

Some just finished

#1 Post by wal » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:14 pm

Seems to be the way come winter the last few years I have a potter around in the shed when things turn to crap weather wise, and I don't get out as much as I like so I put a few hours in at Tylers grinder and using the gear that seems to have taken my shed over.

I wanted a couple of knives that suited what I use a knife most for living in Central Victoria, gutting a rabbit, scalping a fox ($10 hair cut in Victoria), cleaning the odd duck, cleaning a few trout for the smoker and eating the occasional apple. The below is a shape that I think ticks the boxes for what I was looking for, made from ATS34, green and brown canvas micarta, maroon linen micarta and blue/black G10 was used for the handles, the couple with bolsters were done with 416, the sheaths have no belt loops as I'm not one to carry a knife on my belt, as they will be carrid in packs bags etc, the knives cam lock into the sheaths and have the Puma style loop to ensure they have no chance of floating free in a pack. So now one into the glove box, one in the fly fishing vest, one in the bowhunting gear and one into the gun hunting gear.

Some pretty ordinary pictures off the phone but you'll get the idea.

Cheers

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Some just finished

#2 Post by Bill » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:25 pm

8) Sweet looking items there.
:smile: You've done yourself proud.
:smile: It is a pleasure to see such well crafted items,
That is one thing about this web sight so many talented people.
So thank you. :smile:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:39 pm

Excellent craftsmanship Wal! They look handy little blades for sure.

Jeff

bigbob

#4 Post by bigbob » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:15 am

they sure are first class work! Great stuff!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Mick Smith

#5 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:19 am

I think they would go close to being the perfect blade for the purposes you've mentioned and in addition to that, they're beautifully made as well.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

bigbob

#6 Post by bigbob » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:51 pm

Is that acid etching with your name on the blade and where do you source the G10?
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

jindydiver

#7 Post by jindydiver » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:19 am

A great batch of knives. Always good to have one for every occasion :)
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

rodlonq

#8 Post by rodlonq » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:18 pm

Great finish Wal, like the design too.

Cheers... Rod

Mick Smith

#9 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:45 pm

These knives are fantastic. I was able to view some very similar ones that were made by Wal's son while I was at the Lilydale shoot last weekend. I picked out the small knife featured in this thread as being the knife most suitable for what I do, for the same reasons that Wal did.

How someone so young can have so much talent, is beyond my understanding, but the important thing is, he does have it and in spades.

He is going to make one for me, basically the same as Wal's, but with antler scales. 8) I happened to be a bit under the influence of alcohol when I placed the order and this probably lowered my Scottish tendency for frugalness, but even well after the event, I'm still sure I won't be disappointed with it when it finally arrives.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

indie

#10 Post by indie » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:40 pm

That's a very useful and versatile style of knife, and as already stated just beautifully crafted, they look superb. Also interested to hear where you source your metals and how the 416 holds up to use.