Blade Runner knives at Anaconda

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Jim

Blade Runner knives at Anaconda

#1 Post by Jim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:05 am

Does anyone know anything about these knives? I saw them at Anaconda recently, and they have a good looking design. The brand is Blade Runner and their logo is a Texas Longhorn (looks like RM Williams). However they claim to be owned and made in Australia but an Aussie made fixed blade knife for 30 bucks is unheard of. I figure it must be made in china then the handle glued on here or something for that claim? Also the only info on the blade the packaging offer is "high quality stainless steel". It looks a lot like those swedish Mora knives though, which are also cheap and have a good reputation.

Anyone used one or know anything about them?

Jim
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

The Hunt

Re: Blade Runner knives at Anaconda

#2 Post by The Hunt » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:48 am

My knowledge and experience with Anaconda from a manufacturing point is they take well know products and have the duplicated in China. This has happened to a fishing product manufacturer friend of mine. So blatant was the copy it even had the logo embossed on it.

Goatchaser

#3 Post by Goatchaser » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:55 am

Only 50 % of advertising and packaging has to be done in Australia for an item to be classed as Australian made, the product itself doesn't have to be produced here, :roll: But as has been mentioned they are mass produced in china for Aus company.

AndyD

#4 Post by AndyD » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:51 pm

Never heard of these knives.
Does it have the type of steel it is made of on the packaging?
Even if it reasonable steel if it hasn't been heat treated correctly it could still be a p.o.s.
What is your budget for a new knife?
What did you want it for? Bushcraft, skinner, chopper etc?

Plenty of people on here can point you in the right direction.
Cheers
Common sense; so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Jim

#5 Post by Jim » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:54 pm

Andy, I'd never heard of them till about a week ago either. What The Hunt said sounds about right as they really look like a Mora knock off. I checked the packaging and it didn't identify the steel. I guess if all they have to do is get packaged here to claim Aussie made, that's probably as Aussie as it is for 30 bucks :roll:

I'm not in the market really, just thought I'd ask if anyone knew anything about them :wink:
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby