A Tuffhead, Tusker and Outback, a visual comparison.

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Jim

A Tuffhead, Tusker and Outback, a visual comparison.

#1 Post by Jim » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:35 am

I just received some Tuffhead 300 grain broadheads from the US. It's a high quality head that's for sure. I thought I'd just take a couple of pics to visually compare it to a couple of Aussie heads that are similar in technical specs. The three heads, from left to right are the Tuffhead, Tusker Concorde (single bevel that Pitty very kindly knocked up for me) and an old Outback Supreme (about 10 years old, much battered from use and abuse).

And a look at ferrule diameter:

I've heard very good things about the Tuffheads from folks in the US and guys working with very high FOC set ups. They also come ready to hunt sharp. But at almost 20 bucks a head (plus postage) they're pretty rough on the pocket. The Tuskers are about 5 bucks a pop and the Outbacks 6 bucks. If you were looking at experimenting with FOC, matching a 125 grain steel adaptor with either the 190 grain glue on Tusker Concorde (total 315 grain) or 140 grain glue on Outback Tradition (total 265 grain) would make a pretty substantial all Aussie head to play with.

Jim

PS
Don't let my battered old Outback dissuade you from them, they look a lot nicer brand new :wink: Oh and the Outbacks are available in single bevel as well.
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby