Old Browning Tracker Refurb

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

rodlonq

Old Browning Tracker Refurb

#1 Post by rodlonq » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:18 pm

I was havin’ a good old stickybeak in Dad’s shed yesterday and found this little knife amongst other tools that haven’t been used for a long time. I told him I reckon it goes back to when Browning still made bows and he gave it to me, not that I was hintin’ or anything. It must have been amongst one of the various boxes of mixed goodies he bought from a second hand dealer or marketeer. Anyways, he couldn’t remember where it came from or ever having used it so I stuck it in my pocket and changed the subject to having a cold beverage before he had a chance to change his mind :mrgreen: .
OldTracker1small.JPG
OldTracker1small.JPG (104.65 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
OldTracker2 small.JPG
OldTracker2 small.JPG (58.66 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
I was amused at how much the sheath has shrunk. It is so stiff I thought it might break if I tried to bend it at all. The point of the blade is pushed firmly home in the photo above.

My first thought was I could post these pics on the forum and perhaps one of the experts there can tell me something useful about the knife. Anyways I tried google images and straight up got a little bit of info from a dealer who sells old Browning knives.
Browning Tracker1.png
Browning Tracker1.png (156.09 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
Browning Tracker2.png
Browning Tracker2.png (134.34 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
I am going to try and refurbish the knife. The whole thing has had a clean up with about 120 grit on what looks to have been a disc sander. The knife is about 1/8” shorter than the nominated 6 ½”. I will try to make a new replica sheath too. Thanks for looking.

Cheers...... Rod

bigbob

Re: Old Browning Tracker Refurb

#2 Post by bigbob » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:31 pm

Nice score Rod! I must really be getting old as I can easily remember when Browning did make bows. :lol: :lol: :lol:
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

perry

#3 Post by perry » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:34 pm

Try rubbing a little Olive Oil or other quality Vegetable Oil into the Sheath, you might just be surprised. Slightly dampen it with a Cloth you have squeezed the water out of, this will open the pores a little and then apply the Vegie Oil. A little Vegie Oil on the Knife Scales and some 0000 Steel Wool might clean it up Ok aswell

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

rodlonq

#4 Post by rodlonq » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:26 pm

I thought so Bob :biggrin:
perry wrote:Try rubbing a little Olive Oil or other quality Vegetable Oil into the Sheath, you might just be surprised. Slightly dampen it with a Cloth you have squeezed the water out of, this will open the pores a little and then apply the Vegie Oil. A little Vegie Oil on the Knife Scales and some 0000 Steel Wool might clean it up Ok aswell

regards Jacko
Thanks Perry,

I'll try those tricks. It does have a lot of deep scratches from the previous clean up. I would like to try to bring it up looking like new, with the mirror finish etc.. As for the sheath, well thats just a challenge I cannot resist. It is very much along the style of leatherwork I enjoy, but I haven't made one so fiddly yet. The stamp pattern is similar to the sheath I made to hang up my head knife, but my basket weave stamp is one size bigger.
RK1-smaller.jpg
RK1-smaller.jpg (109.64 KiB) Viewed 1882 times
Cheers...... Rod

bigbob

#5 Post by bigbob » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:53 pm

Very nice work there Rod, very smick!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

hardgainer

#6 Post by hardgainer » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:02 pm

What a great old blade Rod. A great find........ good advice from Perry she will come up a treat.
Tony S.