Paper wheel sharpeners

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

flyne

Paper wheel sharpeners

#1 Post by flyne » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:32 am

I was just wondering if any one has had any experience using them for knifes or for broad heads and if any one knows wear I can get one from in Austrailia.
And hears a link to what I'm talking about http://www.abowyer.com/razor_sharp_edge ... ystem.html
Cheers jim
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

jonow

Re: Paper wheel sharpeners

#2 Post by jonow » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:58 pm

I have been wondering the same thing ever since I got single bevel outback broadheads......
"Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them" Psalm 127

flyne

#3 Post by flyne » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:56 pm

Yer the single bevel out backs are the main reason I'm thinking about one

Fanto

#4 Post by Fanto » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:41 pm

i spent ages working out how to get the outbacks razor sharp.

I shave with a cut-throat razor and so i know a little about sharpening and have a lot of stones/ steels/ hones/ strops etc. from 200 to 8000 grit.

The outbacks reacted best to a few dozen strokes with a 600 grit ezelap diamond stone, then about the same number of strokes on a steel. came up to hair shaving this way.

i buggered around with 1200grit and a strop for ages but it didn't work for me.
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

rodlonq

#5 Post by rodlonq » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:08 pm

Gidday Flyne,

Here's a link for paper wheels for the Australian Blade Forum. The blokes there are a great bunch and as willing to share knowledge about edged tools as the fellas here are with bow making. The pricing is there and some hints on usage also. QLD based, $85 delivered for 8" kit. I ordered one just this morning and I am keen to try it out, especially on my outback Fes :biggrin: .

http://www.australianbladeforums.com/vb ... azor-Sharp

Cheers..... Rod

flyne

#6 Post by flyne » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:59 pm

Thanks for the info rod let us know how it goes when u get it
cheers jim

rodlonq

#7 Post by rodlonq » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:18 pm

Well I finally got the paper wheels mounted onto an old 6" Abbot and Ashby grinder. They do the job very nicely and in good time as well (about 15 minutes to sharpen a dozen). Sharpening the single bevel Outback Fe's was a challenge though. There is no safe way to remove the burr on the flat side (using the paper wheel) other than putting a very small bevel on it too. Still the end result was very good and much quicker than using wet stones. The result on all of our camp knives was very good too.

Cheers......... Rod