KA-BARs Anybody out there

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

hardgainer

KA-BARs Anybody out there

#1 Post by hardgainer » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:55 am

Anybody onsite with a passion for USA pre 70s vintage military utility KA- BAR blades. If there are any out there lets see a pic or two.
Any of the versions from KA-BAR/ Camillus/Pal ect would be great or if no pics lets hear what your've got in the treasure chest.

DavidM

Re: KA-BARs Anybody out there

#2 Post by DavidM » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:27 pm

Hi Tony

Here is one of the earliest KA-BARS :biggrin:
Attachments
KA-BAR.jpg
KA-BAR.jpg (118.92 KiB) Viewed 7002 times

hardgainer

#3 Post by hardgainer » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:49 pm

:lol: :lol: Love that blade David.....The blade support looks a bit Calcium deficient.....your treasure chest looks a bit Skeletal. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cave_canem

#4 Post by cave_canem » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:53 pm

My two KA-BARS.
Attachments
DSCF0669.JPG
DSCF0669.JPG (111.31 KiB) Viewed 6934 times
"You are the bow from which your children as living arrows are sent forth"

flyne

#5 Post by flyne » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:54 pm

I use to run a usmc kbar for my sticking knife and always wanted a wart hog just thort they looked sweet
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

hardgainer

#6 Post by hardgainer » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:11 pm

Like that tanto bladed unit 8) 8)

stickslinger

#7 Post by stickslinger » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:04 am

flyne wrote:I use to run a usmc kbar for my sticking knife and always wanted a wart hog just thort they looked sweet
I was lucky enough to be issued on of these when i was in the USMC, I used to use it for a throwing knife when we got bored in the field. It's the best knife i've ever owned. I left it back in "the states". I'll have to grab it next time i go back there.

hardgainer

#8 Post by hardgainer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:34 am

You should hang onto that knife Stickslinger it must have a bit of personal history for you and is genuine USMC issue.(so much junk around) The most copied knife in history. I have assembled a few with good provenance including some from your old cor' that visited WW2 Korea Vietnam even the middle east. A few of the sheaths still hold the name and rank of original owners long gone . I have traced a few back through the US military data banks . The history of the US cutlers that produced these blades for wartime issue is a real interesting story.
Tony S

Frisky

#9 Post by Frisky » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:13 pm

This isn't a Ka Bar and really isn't even a fighting knife, but it is a PAL hunting knife, made by the company that supplied many WWII troops. It's similar to the Mark 1 Navy knife in size and shape. This one is shown in the ebay photo from an auction I won, but the blade has a mirror finish you can't see here. I don't think it was ever used. It was probably manufactured in 50' to 52'. LIke all Pals I've seen, it has a lousy sheath. I forgot to mention this is a PAL RH50.

Joe
Attachments
Pal 50 Knife.jpg
Pal 50 Knife.jpg (110.15 KiB) Viewed 6773 times

hardgainer

#10 Post by hardgainer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:01 pm

Very nice Joe... that Pal looks pretty pristine. What a history. During WW2 their entire production was evidently dedicated to military knives .
You are correct it is a virtual lookalike to the USN Mark 1 (M H Cole 114).
I will dig out a couple I have and post.
Thanks for showing.
Tony S

Frisky

#11 Post by Frisky » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:44 pm

I'd like to see them! This one needed very minor cleanup, mainly the small steel guard, and now looks close to new. I might take another pic of it. I have not found another in as good a shape. 17 people bid on it and I won the auction at $28! That was in March of 2009. The blade is carbon steel. At first, I thought it was stainless due to the polished finish. Neither PAL or Remington left records of their steel, but Bernard Levine said it's probably O1 or 1095 and takes a polish. It has an excellent blade for both field dressing and skinning game. It fits perfectly in a high quality Marbles sheath. I might take it hunting this fall so it sees some use. It must have sat in a drawer for 60 years. The quality of the knife seems too good to be war production and many of the war RH50s I've seen had wooden pommels. I really like the new Ka Bar Mark 1 Navy knife. At 4.5", the PAL has a shorter blade than the new Ka Bar. I assume you know this stuff, but I mention it in case someone else needs info. Added- I just read at a website the USN Mark 1 version made by PAL was their RH35.

Joe

hardgainer

#12 Post by hardgainer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:56 pm

This is my treasured Red Stripe Pal RH (Remington Hunting) 37 with parkerized blade. Has not seen a lot of use for a est' 1943 issue.
It has USN stamped sheath with US Navy stamped on the Ricasso. I thought I had a M4 Pal but no can find (senior moment).
Often wonder about the owners over the years of these blades must be some storys there.
Got this from a guy in NY who I had dealt with previous and was pretty much straight up.
Joe if in your travels come across a M4 with the original wooden handle keep me in mind I am trying to complete the set.
I would have liked to have got a few M3 's (trench/fighting knife) together but they are a restricted import down here so went for M4/ M1 attachment. Being a Bayonet they are legal. Same M3 blade go figure. :?: :?: :?:

Tony S
Attachments
RH 37 4243 001.JPG
RH 37 4243 001.JPG (56.87 KiB) Viewed 6745 times

Frisky

#13 Post by Frisky » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:34 am

That's a beauty! I'll watch for an M4 PAL. I've been reading on Navy knives and it looks like the Navy never issued an RH50. The RH35 was the Navy knife. I think the PAL RH50s with wooden pommels were probably made before or just after the war for the hunting market.

Joe

Carl_SlayR

#14 Post by Carl_SlayR » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:54 pm

I have a new in box KA-BAR. Got a vietnam era M7 bayonet though and a Lan-Cay M9 bayonet (New Unissued).
Bear Patriot 50#
Samick Sage 55#

Jim

#15 Post by Jim » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:17 am

I have one of these little Ka-Bars. Handy little knife. Also my first ever post here :smile:

"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#16 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:53 am

Welcome to Ozbow Jim. I like the blade on your knife and while overall it isn't pretty it looks very practical. :biggrin:

Jeff

Jim

#17 Post by Jim » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:48 am

Cheers Jeff. Mine is even uglier than that one because I have wrapped the handle in strapping tape for a bit better grip. It should have 'slippery when wet' engraved in the handle :wink: But it weighs about as much as a teabag (well, a teabag wrapped in strapping tape!).
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#18 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:29 am

Jim wrote:t should have 'slippery when wet' engraved in the handle But it weighs about as much as a teabag (well, a teabag wrapped in strapping tape!).
:lol:

Jeff

Buranurra

#19 Post by Buranurra » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:49 am

check out this badboy
Attachments
Kabar-Sheaths.jpg
Kabar-Sheaths.jpg (24.23 KiB) Viewed 6557 times
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28