Made a Single Beval Knife from Garden Shears

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

perry

Made a Single Beval Knife from Garden Shears

#1 Post by perry » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:54 pm

G/Day Folks

I'm at it again, made a single Beval Knife from a set of Garden Shears. As with normal with my projects nothing to advanced by way of Knife making skills, have not got around to building myself a little Forge yet so I choose So So Steel and carefully grind away, making sure never to overheat and ruin what ever temper the Steel had in the first place

I did not particularly wish to make a single bevel Blade but the existing edge was such that I had little choice. Check out the other side of the shears and the wavy edge ground into it. It's not great steel and the single Beval may not prove that durable but it takes a Razor Edge easily enough and should only take a few rubs on a Stone or Strokes on a Steel to put a usable edge back on it. I'll carry it next hunt and give it a decent workout with any luck. Lots of work for a by modern standards ordinary piece of Steel but I had a blast doing it.
P5170555.JPG
P5170555.JPG (169.45 KiB) Viewed 3786 times
Again dictated too by the shape of the Shears I chose this handle design. Next Knife I make from the other side of the Shears will be a hidden Tang Blade. I used Beefwood Laminations for the Scales and 4mm Steel Rod for the Pins, had a devil of a time drilling the hole for the bottom Pin but got there in the end. I utilised the existing holes for the front and rear Pins. I cut this Tree up a while back out Bolon way as it had been Bulldozed. Beefwood is too pretty to leave to Rot. I have used this Beefwood for Bow Laminations and still have 30 or 40 Kilo's of it left trimmed to Bow Lams, Knife Scales, Arrow Footings etc and some of it only good for Firewood.
P5170554.JPG
P5170554.JPG (189.69 KiB) Viewed 3786 times
I wanted something different for the pattern on the Sheath so drew out this simple Floral design that was inspired from a Hunt in 2009 on the property I cut the Beefwood on. The country we where hunting had just come out of a 12 year Drought and was covered in a Carpet of Native Flowers reminiscent of what I drew on the Sheath.

The front cover of the Sheath has a rolled Roo hide top edge. The Roo Leather continues down the length of the Sheath to line it and cover the Screw that seures the Watch Stud. Nothing but Leather comes into contact with the Blade
P5170552.JPG
P5170552.JPG (163.93 KiB) Viewed 3786 times
The Blade fits the Sheath precisely and is totally secure but for the exercise I fitted a Bow Tie style security strap that loops around the Handle and secures on the watch stud. The stepped Blade would catch on the loop and hold fast in the unlikely event the Knife ever looked like falling from the Sheath. Not 100% happy with the Bow Tie Strap, needs some shape/ decoration but it serves it's purpose well enough.

regards Jacko
Last edited by perry on Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

flyne

Re: Made a Single Beval Knife from Garden Shears

#2 Post by flyne » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:12 pm

Very nice work
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

hazard

#3 Post by hazard » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:31 pm

Perry
As usual I love your work, that looks like a good practical knife.
I wouldn't discount the quality of those shears I have found the material on ones I have used to be softer but easier to put an edge on.

Outstanding Leather work as always :mrgreen:

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:06 pm

Nice work and a great story to go along with the knife.

Jeff

perry

#5 Post by perry » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:23 pm

Thanks Fella's

Seem to be spending a lot of time lately on making Knives and Knife Sheaths, really enjoying it. The thing with Traditional Archery is the related Pursuits along the way and the Skills you pick up all intertwine and you never stop learning, gotta be the greatest Game on Earth - Trad Archery. Next hurdle is building that Forge, where will that lead me - Mnmmm - Steel Bows :wink: :mrgreen:

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

littlejohn

#6 Post by littlejohn » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:29 am

Nice work as usual perry...

You'll have to save this knife for all of that fancy sashimi cutting . I believe the japanese sashimi knives have just the one bevel!!!

I have an old set of shears earmarked for just such a similar project some time.

Lovely looking leatherwork....

Regards...Pete

jcm

#7 Post by jcm » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:14 pm

Perry,
A true artisan.
Look forward to the steel bows and arrows.
Regards

John

Roadie

#8 Post by Roadie » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:20 pm

Nice work Perry. Apparently Yonks ago some one did make a Steel Bow, bit vague on details, but it was done. Cheers Roadie.

perry

#9 Post by perry » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:13 pm

Pete I never knew Sashimi Knives where a Single Bevel, never really given them [ Single Bevels ] much thought which is why I embraced this project. On the surface of things they seem to me that they may not be quite as durable an edge, but easier to sharpen. I guess they must hold up OK if the Japanese Chop with them like that, on balance we are talking about a far superior steel to any Knife I own.

Just Joshin on the Steel Bow Folks, musing on what I could learn if I had a me a Forge. I'll build one soon enough. Like I said, Trad Archery is the greatest Game on Earth, so many Pursuits that intertwine. In the mean while I have the other 1/2 of that set of Shears to play with

On the subject of Steel Bows, a Mate of mine has one, if memory serves me correctly from India, mid 17th century. You can see traces of what must have been highly ornate decoration. The most amazing thing is the original Silk String is still intact and the Bow is braced, holding string tension.

Back to single Bevel Blades, other than on Broadheads does anyone have any practical experience with them ??

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

longbow steve

#10 Post by longbow steve » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:47 am

Looks great Perry. I too have some shears I was going to try to turn into a knife :smile: . Steve

aroadik

#11 Post by aroadik » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:37 pm

Great idea, Good job.

littlejohn

#12 Post by littlejohn » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:51 pm

Perry,

Plenty of good info and images available with a simple search of 'single bevel knives'....

It seems the single bevel is mainly favoured in the Japanese style of knife for food prepeeration....In that....the back flat side of the blade gives a nice plumb cut on the food whilst the front single bevel cuts and pushes the sliced food away so they can continue on in the slicing process without the food sticking to the blade.

I think the bevel is also quite narrow...around 15 degrees so it allows for very fine food prep. With such a narrow bevel, an inferior steel would require constant sharpening...a good quality steel is required to make such a design into an effective tool.

So a combination of good steel, fine bevels and fine craftsmanship make japanese knives very highly regarded.

Probably my most used knife for food prep at home is a japanese knife. Whilst not single bevel it has a very narrow bevel and is fantastic for fine cutting....

Regards....Pete

Tyler Atkinson

#13 Post by Tyler Atkinson » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:15 pm

thats a great idea. And i love the sheath
TJ ATKINSON
HANDMADE KNIVES
AUSTRALIA

tjknives@gmail.com
www.tjatkinsonknives.webs.com