Finished-small Round Knife/ Nesmuk inspired Knife/new Sheath

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

perry

Finished-small Round Knife/ Nesmuk inspired Knife/new Sheath

#1 Post by perry » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:46 am

Morning Folks,

I made this little Nesmuk inspired Knife last weekend from a broken Power Hacksaw Blade. The design was dictated by the length and shape of the broken Saw Blade, the Blade is about 2 3/4" long. I used a Flat Grind for the Edge as I am limited by the tools I have as well as liking the Flat Grind as they are so simple to maintain. The Scales are made from 4 offcuts of Beefwood that some years ago I ground into Bow Laminations. They are finished with True Oil.I used 3mm Stainless for the Pins that I scrounged somewhere along the line.

I finished the Sheath yesterday. The only Leather I had on hand was Belly, not a great choice for a Quality finished product but it's all I had and has turned out real well. I have had the tool I used to stamp the pattern for 15 odd years, never really tried to work out how to use it until now, a really striking pattern - what took me so long. The Welt is 1/2" wide and travels the length of the spine of the Sheath and around the Split Toe. The Stitching is protected by 1/4" of Leather so is well protected and will never be damaged by the Blade.
P4120539.JPG
P4120539.JPG (198.31 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
I bought a larger Round Knife several weeks ago and was impressed with how useful they are for general Leatherworking tasks, so figured a smaller one will fill the gaps cutting tighter curves and more intricate jobs. I'm not real flush at the moment and decided the small offcut from the Power Hacksaw Blade would make a good small Round Knife. It's about 3" across, agin a flat grind. I used a Antler Tine for the Handle. It has a 3/4" Tang that is Epoxied in place as well as pinned with Rivel Stems on each side so it is rock solid
P4130539.JPG
P4130539.JPG (198.49 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
Yesterday was a productive Leatherworking Day as I had 4 projects on the go. Working on an Armguard/ Sheath for Roadie and a couple of Knife Sheaths for Shrek, stay posted Fella's, gotta work when the mojo strikes for that particular project

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

littlejohn

Re: Finished-small Round Knife/ Nesmuk inspired Knife/new Sh

#2 Post by littlejohn » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:56 pm

Nice work Perry,
Nice looking blades...
I particularly like the look of the sheath...
That stamp pattern looks great...I was looking in 'Birdsall Leather; site for some stamps for a sheath project I have going but couldn't find anything close to what I was after....

Do you have any recommendations for supplies as far as leather and tools go???

Regards...Pete

Gringa Bows

#3 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:35 pm

Top job as usual Perry :wink:

perry

#4 Post by perry » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:10 pm

Evening Folks, hope all's well.

Pete here's a link to an American Leather Retailer, much cheaper and a greater Range of Tools than I've seen online in Australia. I have always found Springfield Leather well priced and excellent to deal with

http://springfieldleather.com/

As too what tools you need please PM me with some details on what you want to do and I'll see if I can help. I use the following the most - Swivel Knife, Bevelling Tool, a spoon modeller with a small and a large end, Background Tools, Bordering tools and Pattern stamping tools [the 2 I use most are variations found in the Basket Weave tool range ], you do not need a huge selection, just learn to use what you have well. The lights only come on for me in the last 6 weeks or so. May I suggest you have a look through the Stohleman Book range on Springfields site, choose one that appeals. They commonly list the part number of the Tools required, it will give you good advice as well as a valuable reference source.

I see you live in Sydney, Mates of mine that have visited Birdsall's Store say it is better stocked then the Website indicates. They also said the Staff knew their Product Range.

I have also been told that Lefflers in Melbourne is an amazing store to walk into, rows and rows of shelving chockers with a wide variety of Stock http://www.leffler.com.au/ They do have the widest selection I have found Online in Australia

My favourite shop is Crispin Leather, She's only open 9 - 12 Wed and Thurs but does mail order, I'd rather by Leather in person so rarely get down there. Here's a link with Crispins on it but lists a heap of Aussie Leather Retailers

http://www.leatherworkersguildnsw.org.au/suppliers.htm

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin