Finishing detail!!

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

littlejohn

Finishing detail!!

#1 Post by littlejohn » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:35 pm

Hi fellas,
I'm in the process of finishing off a 'coffin handle' stlyle bowie blank....
For those of you that dow knife work....what tools do you use to get into those curves and areas that are dfficult to access with your more basic tools???
Tools I currently use include 4" grinder, Abott and ashby 9" grinder with linisher attachment....I usually try to do most of the finish work with this but it just cant get into the tricky areas....
What about the red and green cut and polish compounds???What is the best way of using them??Can I use them on the same buffing wheel???when I eventually get one.....or do I need a different pad for each compound....Can I also use them on wood???I am guessing not but it doesn't really say you cant....
I guess you know what I am asking ....I just want to try and get a more professional looking finish on a knife.
I enjoy mcuking around with them so I am prepared to buy some additional tools within reason....
Any constructive feedback appreciated...
Regards....Pete

James T

Re: Finishing detail!!

#2 Post by James T » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:56 am

I guess it all comes down to how shiny you want it to be.

For all the hard to get to places I use emery paper wraped around a flat stick and sticky tape both ends. You can use any shape stick.(round, square,triangle) Of yourself you will need a few different grades of emery. If you have a flexible drive this will make life a bit easier.
When emerying don't emery in the same direction. Change the direction every time you change the grade of emery. 90 degrees if possible. You can get a fair polish just using emery, but it takes a long time. I usually finish emerying with 1000 grit, then start to polish.

A cotton or callico buff, 6 inch diameter 1-2 inch wide works well with Tripoli.
This is a grease impregnated cutting compound. you can get a really good polish with it, it just takes practice. As to red or green polishes, I wouldn't use them. If you can get hold of blue or white dialux they would be better. A different buff for each polishing compound.
I've never tried to polish wood, but I have used it to hold things being polished. It does get shiny, but I've never tried to clean the polish off or out of the grain, I thing you would be better of coating it with something else. Oil or a wax maybe.

Hope some of this helps.

James

littlejohn

Re: Finishing detail!!

#3 Post by littlejohn » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:52 am

Very helpful James,
I'll put it to good use.
Thanks.....Pete