Enough already - 2 more new Sheaths and a new Knife

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

perry

Enough already - 2 more new Sheaths and a new Knife

#1 Post by perry » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:26 pm

I used these projects to practice new Techniques I learned on some Sheath making DVD's I was given. I used a straight Basketweave Stamping Tool to create the Arrow Head Pattern, the Photo's don't do it justice. I imagine on a larger project such as an Armguard or Quiver this pattern would look outstanding
P3290522.JPG
P3290522.JPG (182.09 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
This little Knife is a Chinese Rip Off of a version of a Japanese Kiridashi that Boker makes and retails for around $90. Deale Extreme sells them for $8.60. It came Razor Sharp and seems to keep a keen edge, profile wise is a Dead Ringer for the Boker, even has Boker etched into the Blade. The Kiridashi as I understand it is commonly used for Wood Carving and as a Utility Knife and I thought it would be handy to keep in my Leatherworking Kit.

I have never made a Sheath designed to be worn behind your back or as a cross draw Sheath and in the past I had been asked too. I decided to knock this up for no other reasons, no illusions of a Mall Ninja here
P3290526.JPG
P3290526.JPG (179.47 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
I hafted the last 6" of a Goat Horn onto an old hidden Tang Solingen Carbon Steel Blade some years ago. It has proven itself in the field but the Sheath I made for it way back when was looking ordinary so I decided to knock up another Mexican Loop Sheath for it. I wanted to use a Bow Tie type retainer for the Knife as again I have not used it before. I would have mounted the Stud on the Sheath and therefore the Tie lower, but the Goat Horns Shape forced me to mount it on the Tie.
P3290525.JPG
P3290525.JPG (127.4 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
After I dyed these Sheaths I rubbed them back with fine Sandpaper to make them look well worn and then resealed them

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Roadie

Re: Enough already - 2 more new Sheaths and a new Knife

#2 Post by Roadie » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:30 pm

Looking Good Perry. Cheers Roadie.

perry

#3 Post by perry » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:50 pm

Evening Grant, hows things in your neck of the woods Mate ?? I see it's been raining a bit down Tamworth way and that Camp grounds needed to be evacuated. All is well I hope

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

little arrows

#4 Post by little arrows » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:02 pm

Perry,

They are beautiful, your workmanship superb..............(and I don't want to hear about the boo boos). :lol:

and next time you see Steve you must ask him about his speed leather punching :biggrin:

cheers
sue

terryzac

#5 Post by terryzac » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:26 pm

with work like that you cant keep calling yourself an enthusist
verrrry nice

perry

#6 Post by perry » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:46 pm

Thanks for the kind words Folks.

My workmanship has improved in the last few weeks since I watched those Paul Long and Chuck Burrows DVD's. After 15 or 16 years of learning Leathercraft through trial and error what I learned watching those DVD's has been a revelation. Still have a few Knives to either Grind, screw together or make Sheaths for so have months of entertainment to come.

As a footnote one little trick I applied to these Sheaths that will help others who make their own Sheaths. Use a Hairdryer on the finished Sheath. It is magic to watch the Leather react under the Hairdryer, it moulds itself around the Knife and Hardens.

I made these Sheath's using a pattern and they have a fitted welt that fits the blade precisely. The Heat just makes every thing mate together a little better

No need to hold the Hairdrer too the Leather for a great length of time 45 seconds each side, manipulate the Leather so it forms even more snugly and allow to cool.

The Leather hardens to the point that it almost rings when you tap it. In ages past Leather Armour was hardened by passing it in front of a heat source. The Leather does not dry out with the brief applicaion of the heat from the Hairdryer and a light coat of Vegetable Oil does not soften it again

Sue I'd be real keen to see Steve's Speed Leather Punch, is it called a Sewing Machine :wink: Here is my new Speed Leather Punch - I bought this handy little Leather Punch the other week. Had to grind the Awl down, it had a lip around it that caught on the Leather after punching through it. It makes punching Stitching Holes on the off side of the Project a whole lot faster and easier than trying to line an Awl up to a pre cut Stitching Groove.
P3290527.JPG
P3290527.JPG (187.93 KiB) Viewed 2118 times
and a link to where I bought it, scroll down the page and you will see that lip on the Punch I mentioned

http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/ ... html#punch

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

littlejohn

#7 Post by littlejohn » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:48 pm

Really nice looking work Jacko..

regards...pete