New Knife and Inlay Sheath

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

perry

New Knife and Inlay Sheath

#1 Post by perry » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:28 pm

G/Day Folks last few weeks since I watched some Paul Long and Chuck Burrows Sheath Making DVD's I have been trawling through my old Knives, making better Sheaths for them applying some of the techniques I learned from the DVD's. I also ordered this 440 Stainless Steel Knife Blade which has a Hidden Tang from Australian Knife Supplies and Hafted a Rusa Antler tine that curves just right to fit comfortably in my Left Hand onto it.

Originally I intended to boil the Antler for several hours so that it softened sufficiently for me to push the Tang into it but I got impatient [ read the Mrs whinged your not boiling that stinky stuff again ARE YOU !! ] and drilled out the Tine instead - you guessed it SHE WHINGED anyway !! I set the Brass Bolster and Tang in place with Bote Cote Epoxy after I very carefully and precisely marked and drilled through the Tine where it was to be pinned in place through the Tang.

I measured it thrice, marked it twice and stuffed it up once :oops: No drama so I simply shimmed it with an offcut of Beefwood Sapwood that I had ground thin for Bow Tip Overlays when last the Bowmaking Bug bit. The Shim pulled everything up tight and with the Epoxy set up it is Rock Solid !! If I did not mention it most would not notice it.
P3250520.JPG
P3250520.JPG (185.15 KiB) Viewed 2445 times
I had just enough Scraps of this Faux Elephant Hide embossed Leather left and a few scraps of Red dyed Kangaroo Hide for the Inlays. As usual I made several mistakes as the Sheath progressed.

I had not done a Rolled Edge on a Blade only Sheath before and managed to run a stitch line across at an uneven angle which means the edge appears tapered ,Braindead mistake but it still looks Ok. I decided to run a secondary stitch line under the Rolled Edge to 150% secure it. The Sheath has a 1/2" wide Welt that precisly matched the blade so it is a firm friction fit. If you tip this Sheath upside down the Knife will not fll out. A 1/4" of Leather seperates the Knife Blade from the Stitching. I used 1" and a 1/2" Hole Punches for the Inlay Holes and stitched them 8 stitched per inch to secre them. Next Inlay I do I will use finer thread. I cut the Antler Drawcord Button from a section of the Rusa Antler that is no good for Knife Handles
P3250521.JPG
P3250521.JPG (195.84 KiB) Viewed 2445 times
I still have 3 more Knives that need better Sheaths that over the next few weeks I'll finish up. Still have a head full of idea's from those DVD's. Next Sheath will feature a new Tooling Technique from the Paul Long DVD.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

hazard

Re: New Knife and Inlay Sheath

#2 Post by hazard » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:37 pm

Love your work Jacko :mrgreen:
perry wrote: I also ordered this 440 Stainless Steel Knife Blade which has a Hidden Tang from Australian Knife Supplies and Hafted a Rusa Antler tine that curves just right to fit comfortably in my Left Hand onto it.
Another Lefty?
Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

littlejohn

#3 Post by littlejohn » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:57 pm

I'm likin' it jacko.

I can't see the filler pieceyou are talking about though......
Nice work....Where do you get most of your instructional dvds' from

Regards...Pete

Roadie

#4 Post by Roadie » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:58 pm

Looking good Perry, love the work. Cheers Roadie.

Gringa Bows

#5 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:41 pm

Very nice Perry :wink:

perry

#6 Post by perry » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:47 pm

Thanks Fella's

Hazard I am Left handed at everything bar Kicking a Ball , Shooting a Bow or Firearm as I am right eye dominant. I throw Left handed but swing a Club right handed , straight out Strange

Grant I have started that Armguard for you, have it cut out and the Celtic Cross Swivel knifed in. Waiting for some fittings to come in from the USA before I can do any more work.

Pete if you look real close between the Brass Bolster and the Antler you wil see the Shim. I used Beefwood Sapwood which is almost the same colour as the Antler

links to the DVD's

Chuck Burrows - http://wrtcleather.com/

Paul Long - http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Blade-Sh ... B004A9G7NQ

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Pouch-Sheat ... B004A9NJHS

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... m+a+master

My DVD's where a Gift for which I am very gratefull.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Nephew

#7 Post by Nephew » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:05 pm

To think you have the cheek to try to claim you're just an enthusiastic amateur! :razz: :biggrin:
Well done Perry, you really do seem to have a natural talent for the leather, mate. I like the knife, too! :smile:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

stringnstik

#8 Post by stringnstik » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:09 am

Nice work Perry, Ive thought about inlay work a few times but I dont have the patience for all the sewing ;lol So kudos to you for magic work. Your stitching is immaculate.

BTW Im opposite to you... Im left eye dominant, right handed. I do a lot of things including archery left handed.
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

perry

#9 Post by perry » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:39 pm

For a while there leading up to Christmas I was not even an "Enthusiastic" Amatuer, believe me when you see my work next to a true Artisan's such as Paul Long I mentioned in those DVD's -I have a Loooonnnngggg way to go. Since I watched those DVD's repeatedly [my Family have hidden them from me so they can access the DVD player] I have stepped up a level as the light went on with a few details I struggled with and I bought a Round Knife, brialliant tool, never made more precise, smoother cuts.

Mark as you are likely aware tools make all the difference with Stitching. My Stitching Wheel had 3 wheels with it, 6, 8 and 10 Stitches per inch, I lost the 8 and 10 Stitch wheels, put em away real good so I could fish them out when required - I can't find them :roll: I have a set of superb "made in Sheffield England" Dividers, micro adjustable gotta be a minimum of 80 years old as they where handed down to Dad that I set at 1/8th of an inch and marked the Stitch Holes with. I also have a lovely old Awl that again came from Dad's side of the Family, one of his Uncles I think, that works a treat also. I used the Saddle Stitch and it is less trouble by a long way than the Mexican Braid I am so fond of. I do not have the patience for the sort of work you do such as that Striking Quiver you just finished.

Next week I am flexing the old Debit Visa again as I have my eye on a Bowie Knife Blank that has a Coffin Shaped Handle, I have some Brass I can make a Handguard from and a beatifull dense section of Rusa Antler that will make superb Scales. I have a tooled Leather Mexican Loop Sheath in mind - watch this space.

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin