Anyone use an Ulu or a Round Knife

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

perry

Anyone use an Ulu or a Round Knife

#1 Post by perry » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:15 pm

G/Day Folks, I just bought a Round Knife to use with my Leathercraft, what a revelation - easy controlled cuts full thickness through 7/8 Oz Leather, fast easy trimming. Just an amazing tool, you can make long cuts by pushing the Blade and rolling it on it's axis.

I knocked up a Sheath for it, bloody scacy thing to have bouncing around my Leather Working Kit with the blade exposed. This Sheath is Mk1, it needs to be deeper as the Blade wants to roll in the sheath and the sharp edges on the top are minimally exposed.

I got too thinking about an Ulu, they have a different handle configuration with the handle mounted in line with the back of the blade instead of verticaly like the Round Knife. After using this Round Knife I think it would be quite a usefull tool butchering Game. Have any of you folks used an Ulu or a Round Knife while in the field, and what were your impressions

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Roadie

Re: Anyone use an Ulu or a Round Knife

#2 Post by Roadie » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:04 pm

Hi Perry, Its great for cutting cheese. Cheers Roadie.

perry

#3 Post by perry » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:13 pm

Good on Ya :lol: :lol: :lol: and no smarties about choppin Herbs either :roll: :roll:

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

littlejohn

#4 Post by littlejohn » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:02 pm

Hi Perry,

This is as close as I have come to a round knife.....It's designed as a skinner ..Sort of half a round knife I guess....
Attachments
003.JPG
003.JPG (111.22 KiB) Viewed 5573 times

perry

#5 Post by perry » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:35 pm

That is an interesting Knife Littlejohn, in function you can use that exactly as the Round Knife is intended. Push Cuts and do not roll it past it's centre [ your Knife's tip ] as it gets awkward at that point with the verticle handle. You could make longer sweeping cuts with an Ulu with it's horizontal handle.

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

stringnstik

#6 Post by stringnstik » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:47 am

Love my round knife but wow keeping it sharp? Which is what it requires to be of use is the hard thing for me. Just the slightest blunting and it goes from super useful to a pain. Most times I opt for circular rolling knife unless its really intricate.
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

zimoz

#7 Post by zimoz » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:05 pm

Hi Perry,

I spent some time in the high Arctic with some Canadian Arctic Rangers (Inuit) in the late 90s. Their job was to stop me dying through misadventure.... I saw both Ulu and a large Leuku-type plus a hand axe being used on a regular basis. The Ulu was used a lot when eating raw seal, slicing pieces off with one end of the flesh clamped between their teeth!The Ulus were always scarey sharp and were used for pretty much most cutting jobs involving meat/fish. The Leuku type knife was used alot for building igloos and chopping pieces off frozen lumps of walrus and caribou, while the axe did good service on frozen lumps of meat and chopping out ice to melt for water.

Cheers

John

rodlonq

#8 Post by rodlonq » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:33 am

G'day Perry,

I didn't know what an ulu looks like until just looking it up on google. Interesting looking tool for sure.

I only recently bought a round knife and wish I had one for the last 30 years. It is an amazing tool, like Mark says, when it is very sharp. And a major PIA when it is not.

Your new sheath looks good, perhaps you could wall mount it after you make a new one with deeper pouch for in the toolbox.

Here are some pictures of the sheath I made to hang my round knife on the wall behind my craft bench.
RK1-smaller.jpg
RK1-smaller.jpg (109.64 KiB) Viewed 5408 times
RK2-smaller.jpg
RK2-smaller.jpg (180.76 KiB) Viewed 5408 times
Cheers….. Rod

Nephew

#9 Post by Nephew » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:49 pm

Didn't Paul Mayall used to make a skinner that looked similar to an Ulu, but with the horizontal handle?

Hey Perry, check out clips of Inuit women using ulus, they skin like champs with 'em.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

hardgainer

#10 Post by hardgainer » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:27 pm

Great sheath Jacko .....your leather work seems to go upwards in bounds. Sorry I cannot give any past impressions I always had a Ulu in my sights but to date have not made the grade. Always thought there was always a use for that blade in most craftsmans line up. I guess as John said the Uniut sure proved it.
Good one mate.
Tony S

Fanto

#11 Post by Fanto » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:28 am

my mrs was watching Nigella Lawson's cooking show and she was using a double handed round knife to shop some parsley. The mrs said, "hey thats a good idea id like one of those"

she really likes the looks of my Roselli Leuku knife, and ive always wanted a rosellu ULU, so i showed it to her and she was all impressed.

hope it doesnt cut the christmas stocking on the way out!

http://www.workwearcanada.com/products/ ... 1227-1.jpg
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

UPTHETOP

#12 Post by UPTHETOP » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:11 pm

Perry and Rod both great looking sheaths, although Im afraid I'd cut a few fingers off with the blade.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.