M first one....

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

g_r

M first one....

#1 Post by g_r » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:01 am

Hi,

build my first knive and though ist not as good as it could be i thought id show it.

Blade is a Helle Kabra, 3 layered steel, 59 HRC, 11 cm length;
Handle is Moosehorn, ive taen a bigger piece on purpose to sand it down and only show some remains of the original structur. It was sealed with linenseedoil-laqucer (correct word?);
Sheath is made symetrically so i can wear it left or right becuase on the right side it gets in the way when wearing my Sidequiver.

Im not to happy with:
The shininess of the original structured parts of the Handle due to the laqucer;
The stitching could be far better and next time ill buy natural coloured leather and dye it myself to get nicer edges on the sheath.

Anyways, some lessons learned and its functional:

Back:
Underside:

Thx for looking,
Axel
watch youre feet, you may never know where they might take you....

Always scout like you are scouting scouts!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: M first one....

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:41 pm

I like the look of the Moose antler Axel. How do you attach the belt loop to the sheath so you can change it from left to right?

Jeff

rmcpb

#3 Post by rmcpb » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:57 pm

Don't reckon it would be changed Jeff. When worn on the right the handle faces backward allowing easy use with the right hand. When on the left the handle faces forward allowing the right hand to draw it forward. A bit like some old gun slingers from the wild west.

Its a really good job IMHO.
Cheers
Rob Browne

Its OK to make a mistake,
Just try not to make the same one twice.........

hazard

#4 Post by hazard » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:45 pm

I like the Idea, you could turn it any direction forward or backwards depending on your need.

Well done Axel, I like the sheath the way it is! but if you must you could always touch them up with some dye.

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

perry

#5 Post by perry » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:04 pm

I like it, really solid effort Axel - you should be proud. I am hard on myself when it comes to my Handcrafts aswell so know where your coming from. Look at it this way, now you have a legitimate reason to buy another Knife Blank, some more Leather and try again and again until you get it right :biggrin: Works for me

Finishing Edges on your Leathercraft can be a real Challenge. May I recommend you think about buying these 2 DVD's - Basic Knife Sheaths and Advanced Knife Sheaths by Paul Long an American Sheath maker who's work must be seen to be believed.

http://www.usaknifemaker.com/index.php? ... ts_id=2738

http://www.usaknifemaker.com/index.php? ... ts_id=2739

I also got a 3rd DVD by Pual Long called Leather Tips from a Master, excellent !!!

I also got another 2 by Chuck Burrows from the Wild Rose Trading Company, another outstanding Leathercrafter and I learned more from them than I have in the last 15 years.

regards Jacko
Last edited by perry on Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Gringa Bows

#6 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:30 pm

Good looking knife,good job. :wink:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:57 pm

rmcpb wrote:Don't reckon it would be changed Jeff. When worn on the right the handle faces backward allowing easy use with the right hand. When on the left the handle faces forward allowing the right hand to draw it forward. A bit like some old gun slingers from the wild west.
Going by the photos Rob that doesn't look to be the case.

After studying the photos more and reading what Axel said again I think I know what he means when he says the sheath was made symmetrically - the leather is moulded to the shape of the knife on both sides (rather than flat on one side) with the belt loop in the centre so it can be worn either left or right handed.

Jeff

g_r

#8 Post by g_r » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:00 pm

No you got it Jeff! Dependin on the way i put it on the belt i coul d wear it forward or backward left or right side.

Thans for the kind words, all.
watch youre feet, you may never know where they might take you....

Always scout like you are scouting scouts!