Mexican Loop Sheath for my old Sheffield Steel Bowie

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

perry

Mexican Loop Sheath for my old Sheffield Steel Bowie

#1 Post by perry » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:45 pm

G/Day Folks I recently discovered the Mexican Loop style Knife Sheath and decided to knock one up quickly yesterday afternoon.

From what I gather the Mexican Loop Sheath came into vogue around the 1870's. I have been searching for a Sheath Design that suited my old Bowie style Knife but nothing seemed right until I spied this. After making one I have seen it is a very adaptable style of Sheath. It could easily be adapted for anything from a Wrap around Sheath to a Multitool Pouch. It is easy to put on your Belt if you already have it threaded through the Loops on your Strides and removes just as quick. It is also absolutely secure. I like it a whole lot more than the press studs I had been using on my Belt Loops to this point.

Notice the Lanyard that secures the Knife. I have fitted the Knife Blade to the Sheath so that it does not fall from the Sheath when tipped upside down, with the Lanyard in place it is totally secure. I have riveted a small Tab to the Skirt Body of the Sheath that the Lanyard passes through.

When the Lanyard is loosened it drops out of the way under the Guard on the Knife. It is easily pulled back into place and tightened.

Here it is pulled out of the Loop waiting to be threaded back through to Hang it from a Belt. The photo also shows the where the Sheath Body is stitched to the Skirt. There is no danger of the Knife snagging the stitching inside the Sheath as I have grooved the stitch line deeply and then hammered it down. The Loop is Rivet on with Speed Rivet's - Yuk they just look wrong on this period Sheath and next one will feature 14 Guage Copper Rivets instead

The Sheath about to be threaded through the Loop which will form a Belt Loop up to 4" Deep

Threaded through again. Now for the more knowledable Knife Buffs here. This particulat Bowie has Made in Sheffield England stamped under the Guard on one side and on the other WJNO BAKER Ltd 3 Hunter Street Sydney. I have a vague feeling it is circa 1950's and am guessing it was a Generic model made especially for that retailer. Can anyone expand on this thanks

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

hardgainer

Re: Mexican Loop Sheath for my old Sheffield Steel Bowie

#2 Post by hardgainer » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:39 am

http://www.auspostalhistory.com/articles/1932.shtml.
Above link may assist re your Sheffield Bowie.....If you ever are thinking of moving the knife on keep me in mind :smile: .
That sheath is beautiful work.
Sure fits the blade.
Does the tang taper from the guard to the top of handle ?
Tony S

hardgainer

#3 Post by hardgainer » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:49 am

Sorry ...i ment to be clearer....does the thickness of the tang taper down to handle end.

Roadie

#4 Post by Roadie » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:59 am

Love your work Perry, good to see your projects. Cheers Roadie.

Gringa Bows

#5 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:50 am

Looks real good Perry :biggrin: