Sharpening single beveled heads

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Brigsy

Sharpening single beveled heads

#1 Post by Brigsy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:57 pm

OK!!
How do you guys get your single beveled heads shaving sharp?
I have used razors edge, files stones and everything else out there and just cant seem to get them as sharp as double beveled heads.
Cheers chris

piggy

Re: Sharpening single beveled heads

#2 Post by piggy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:04 pm

I use a Lansky sharpener these days but used a file for many years, I also have a buffing wheel on my bench grinder so once I have them shaving sharp I just polish the edge after each use and there shaving sharp again in seconds.

longbow steve

#3 Post by longbow steve » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:10 pm

Flatten the non bevel side first on the Razors edge then work the bevels to a burr. Remove the Burr with a quality, worn steel (one that doesn't remove material). You can sand a steel with wet and dry if you can't find an old one. With a bit of practice you can have them right in a couple of minutes. Steve

Brigsy

#4 Post by Brigsy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:24 pm

Thanx guys! startin to annoy me a bit
chris

AndyD

#5 Post by AndyD » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:20 pm

Hi,

I just use a steel.
Have tried serveral methods (including the file and a lanksy) but find the steel easier, quicker and for me is the best way to do at home or in the scrub.
Cheers
Common sense; so rare it should be considered a superpower.

SouthTexasPighunter

#6 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:15 am

I like to use a small three sided mill file used for detail wood working. The teeth are very small, you have three working sides(One wears out simply flip it) it takes off metal from the BHeasier without all the big teeth cuts left in the BH. and I think it simply puts a better edge on the cutting blade. I hit the blade with the file an equall number of times on bevelled sides then I hit the back (flat side) once or twice to take the slight burr off the back then I flip it and another set of even cuts to the bevelled side and then follow again as previously described. I do this until I get the edge I want then I touch it up with either a leather strop or a ceramic stick. I can usually get the BH to shave doing this. I also will reangle the factory edge with this proceedure to get it sharper. After a session of doing this my fingers usually look like they have gone over a cheese grater from testing the edge so much.
Hope this helps.
STP
Peace and Walk The Way of The Hunter

piggy

#7 Post by piggy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:25 pm

Sharpening broadheads is like Holden or Ford, we all have our method with works best for our own sharpening style