Epoxy and tang edges

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

stringnstik

Epoxy and tang edges

#1 Post by stringnstik » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:30 pm

HI all,
Unaccustomed as I am to knife making I have a question regarding the edging/spine? of my knife.
I have rough sanded the scales now to match the tang. Im about ready to glue the scales and then begin the final shaping of the handle. I saw the spine and thought I need to filework this :) So I have delayed the gluing, removed the pins and scales and set to work on the edge. So far Im quite happy tho its been hard going.
Its a basic pattern. I marked lines every 5mm and every alternate line I am round filing (creating a scallop).
Then I thought, ok when I put the scales back on this scallop will be under the edge of the scales, no longer flush. Left like this the scallop will just capture dirt.

I just purchased some techniglue ca for a bow project.So I figured some of this mixed with some dark pigment to highlight the scallops, ie fill them in. When the filework is done. I mix up some goop glue the scales on set the pins and at the same time fill in the scallops. I then carefully sand it back till its flush , the scales, the spine and the filled in scallops.

Thoughts or am i barking up trees again :)
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

longbow steve

Re: Epoxy and tang edges

#2 Post by longbow steve » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:18 am

Maybe worth a shot but hard to reverse if you dont like it. How much dirt do you reckon it will collect? Maybe get on a knife forum and look for examples of what others have done? Look forward to seeing it :) . steve

stringnstik

#3 Post by stringnstik » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:00 am

Thanks Steve, it seems to be a done thing.Checked a few forums and certainly plenty of mention of it. So im going to give it a go. At least it might hide some of my not so neat filework :)
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

jindydiver

#4 Post by jindydiver » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:48 am

Filling it with colored epoxy is common and it looks great on some knives. The only part that requires some planing and work is where the edge of the spine leaves the handle slab. You have to have the front edge of your slabs not meeting steel on one side of that top edge, there is nothing you can do about it, but try and make your slabs meet steel on at least one side so you only have to fiddle with one side to make it neat.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln