Before and after

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Mike-dy

Before and after

#1 Post by Mike-dy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:09 pm

Todays project, turned a tapered roller bearing into a skinner using a wood fired forge. Total cost 4 hours of sweat :) First forged blade.
Cheers,
Mike
Attachments
Before and After.JPG
Before and After.JPG (65.75 KiB) Viewed 2887 times
Last edited by Mike-dy on Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Before and after

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:30 pm

That photo's a shocker mate but well done on the knife. :lol: It's amazing thinking the knife came from that bearing. :shock:

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#3 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:41 pm

the knife looks good mate.......

Mike-dy

#4 Post by Mike-dy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:08 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:That photo's a shocker mate but well done on the knife. :lol: It's amazing thinking the knife came from that bearing. :shock:

Jeff
Fixed it Jeff :lol: :lol:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:20 am

Now that is much better. :D You will have to show us another when you have it sharpened up. The handle is nice, is it some type of burl?

Jeff

Steven J

#6 Post by Steven J » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:37 am

I was wondering what you were up to these days Mike. Good to see you are keeping busy. I like your knife. I like the forged look. It looks like something an ork would use :)

How about a sheath. You are pretty handy with the leather. I'd like to see what you come up with.

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

bigbob

#7 Post by bigbob » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:46 pm

You must have too much time on your hands. lol ! Great effort to swedge that bearing right out to form the blade. I once did the same with a ball pein hammer head to form a throwing axe. It was my pride and joy and threw like a dream. Alas a novice in my canoe at one of the old canoe rallies held up in N.Q. years ago conspired to over turn the canoe and we lost everything --- bows etc. I floated down the flooded river hanging on to a full beer esky, so I could dull the pain once I made land fall. Back to your effort, well done and you know the steel is good
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Mike-dy

#8 Post by Mike-dy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:49 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:Now that is much better. :D You will have to show us another when you have it sharpened up. The handle is nice, is it some type of burl?

Jeff
The handle was made with offcuts from a Burl I cut a riser from. Can't recall the exact botanical name but it was from a eucalypt in SA.
Was good enough to skin another cat :wink: Seemed to sharpen OK, sliced my finger open without feeling it.

Mike

Mike-dy

#9 Post by Mike-dy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:52 pm

Steven J wrote:I was wondering what you were up to these days Mike. Good to see you are keeping busy. I like your knife. I like the forged look. It looks like something an ork would use :)

How about a sheath. You are pretty handy with the leather. I'd like to see what you come up with.

Steve
Haven't done anything with leather since leaving Victoria Steve, all my leatherworking stuff is still there, must go and get it one day.
Need to talk to you about another bow to built for a special purpose :)
Cheers,
Mike

stringnstik

#10 Post by stringnstik » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:02 am

Excell Mike, I love the rugged look. Some knives are just too prissy but this one, as someone said, belongs in the hand of an ork.
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"