Is this possible???

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

littlejohn

Is this possible???

#1 Post by littlejohn » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:05 pm

I have an old sheffield file and in a moment of light headedness I thought I would have a go at trying to get a knife out of it. I have no experience in knifemaking but I figure I have nothing to lose.
Forges etc...are out of the question.
What tools would I use to get a shape off the blade from the file.
I was just thinking cut and shape with 4" grinder.
I also have a bench grinder ryobi 1/3 horse power....
I know this probably sounds stupid but if I dont ask.......
I was thinking of gluing timber offcuts onto back end then drilling . I don't know where you get the rivets etc...from. I guess you could just bang some old copper nails thru the holes and cut them off????
Like I said....
Is this possible???
Pete

woodie

Re: Is this possible???

#2 Post by woodie » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:11 pm

If you are going to use a grinder do not get it to hot as you will take the hardness away from the file.
If you can get an even heat on it and get it to cherry red and then let it cool VERY slowly you should be able to work it with a file, cut it with a hacksaw and drill it with a slow drill. When that all done heat it the same way to red and quench in water, polish the cutting edge heat the back and quench when the straw colour gets to the cutting edge.
This how I have done knives and cold chisels.
Here is a viking stile knife that I made in this way. It might not bet the right way but I'm still learning.
woodie
Attachments
the blade that was a file.
the blade that was a file.
viking knife 1.jpg (23.59 KiB) Viewed 3367 times
viking knife 2.jpg
viking knife 2.jpg (23.81 KiB) Viewed 3367 times
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:40 pm

I agree with all the above, and will add that if you can get it to cherry red , then bury it in sand so that it slows the cooling rate. Once cold and you can work it dont get it too hot with the grinder or the like as this will make working it a real hassle.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

dmm

#4 Post by dmm » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:07 pm

I think it's very possible, and converting blades from tool still is actually more common than you'd think.
No personal experience, but I think you'd find more help over at http://www.laventrix.com/
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.

littlejohn

#5 Post by littlejohn » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:17 pm

Nice work Woodie,
It seems there are two options go slow and not get too hot with grinding tools...
Or heat and file/shape from there.
As it stands I have glued on a rough handle to drill later and I have marked out a template on the file (6 1/2" blade), based on some bowies I have.
Firstly re the heat method....does this have to be in coals open style fire cause I live in a flat...could I do it on a gas burner???? I'm guessing that would really only do one side of the metal???
If I did this method I think it would probably melt the epoxy I have used to adhhere the handle( although that can be redone I guess)
Would I let the file get totally cool before shaping or while it is still got some colour to it??
My original plan was just grind and quench.....grind and quench....
Thanks...Pete

bigbob

#6 Post by bigbob » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:30 pm

Bad luck about the handles. Unless you anneal all the file you wont be able to drill your holes in the handle.File should be cold or at least so you can handle it with your hands. If you only apply heat on one side you run the risk of curling or warping the steel. At least turn the blade over to even out the heat.Not sure how you can get it hot in a flat, maybe the gas ring will do it, but with out it you have got heaps of work to grind it down and no chance of drilling the handle.
razorbows.com

woodie

#7 Post by woodie » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:04 pm

I used the oxy at work. I did not use sand but I have read about doing that, as I am a fitter/ machanist we have stuff, I have not idea what it is, that will hold the heat in the metal for a long time as we do a lot of cast iron welding an need to cool it slowly to machine it easer. Do you know a plumber? Get a lend of his oxy or his gas burner. Unless you do anneal the file/blade you will not be able to drill it.
Good luke hope this helps you.
woodie

littlejohn

#8 Post by littlejohn » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:14 pm

Ok...here's where I sound really dumb???
I dont understand why I cant drill a file to take rivets/pins or whatever....
I have drilled lots of metal in the past without it being heated beforehand. Can't I just slow drill it????
I would like to run with the heating method as it sounds easier but I just don't think it's practical for my situation at the moment!!!
thanks again ....pete

matt61

#9 Post by matt61 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:01 pm

John
Its because the file is a harder steel than the drill bit.
Matt

woodie

#10 Post by woodie » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:15 pm

You know when you hit a bit of normal old black steel onto something heaver it bends? If you do that with a file that is not annealed it will break, but if you anneal it it will bend not as much as black bar. So if you can, heat treat it. It will make it easer as you can file the file insted of having to gring it. It will take longer to file it but you have less chance of making a mistack.
woodie

bigbob

#11 Post by bigbob » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:21 pm

If you can get a bit of localised heat onto just a couple of spots on the handle end at least to a cherry colour and let them cool you might get to drill your holes but it will be a big job to grind the blade end and if you let the hat get up it will be no good any way with out proper heat treatment then any way , but good luck. Its not impossible
razorbows.com

littlejohn

#12 Post by littlejohn » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:17 pm

Thank you guys for your input...
First time...so I don't expect too much other than to learn alot....
which is not a bad thing...
regards...pete