Heat treatment

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

bigbob

Heat treatment

#1 Post by bigbob » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:10 pm

Hope you dont mind a small piece of advice when tempering or annealing your own blades. It's better to use a 'clean oil' rather than used sump oil as sump oil is full of impurities that can permeate the molecular structure of the blade and affect it, and when quenching a blade lower it point first into the warmed [ so as not to 'shock' the blade] oil bath as if it is laid in horiziontally it can 'pull' to the nearest side as it quenches.As a new member [ and old retired boily] of the site may I offer congratulations for some awesome knives on these posts.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Steven J

Re: Heat treatment

#2 Post by Steven J » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:33 am

Welcome to the site Bob. Thanks for the tip. I have not made many knives, however any heat treating I have done has been quenched by laying the spine into the oil first. I have tried point first but still had distortions of the blade. When I was mucking about I generally used vegetable oil and found this fine for hardening file steel.

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

bigbob

Re: Heat treatment

#3 Post by bigbob » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:26 am

When I said lowered into the oil bath i really should have said 'plunged' into it so the contractions caused by the molecular structure of the heated blade returning to a more normal unstressed state are uniformly acted on by the cooling process.Vegetable oil is okay for quenching as you say.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com