New World Survey

Got a joke too good to keep to yourself? This is where to put it. While all the other Campfires are expected to be reasonably 'serious' in nature, this is where we let our hair down.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

New World Survey

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:28 pm

NEW WORLD SURVEY

Last month a world-wide survey was conducted by the UN. The only question asked was:-

"Would you please give your honest opinion about solutions to the food shortage in the rest of the world?"

The survey was a huge failure because of the following:

In Eastern Europe they didn't know what "honest" meant.

In Western Europe they didn't know what "shortage" meant.

In Africa they didn't know what "food" meant.

In China they didn't know what "opinion" meant.

In the Middle East they didn't know what "solution" meant.

In South America they didn't know what "please" meant.

In the US they didn't know what "the rest of the world" meant.

And Finally...........................
In Australia they hung up because they couldn't understand the Indian accent.
Last edited by Mick Smith on Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Benny Nganabbarru

Re: New World Survey

#2 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:38 pm

That is excellent, Mick! Thank you! :D
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Gringa Bows

#3 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:50 pm

Good one Mick :lol: :lol: :lol: .......................Rod

Stephen Georgiou

#4 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:38 am

Don't know about this one????

Mick Smith

#5 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:50 pm

OK, so who else finds this post racially offensive?

If it's in the least way racially offensive, can the admin please delete this entire thread?

Personally, I don't think it is. It relates to the ongoing political situations in the various countries, but there are no racial slurrs involved at all.

I am not a racist!!

I'm well and truly past being left offended and angry in my own loung room, in my own home by things that have received either online or through PMs. It is for this reason that I will no longer be an active member of Ozbow. I have better things to do in my precious private time.

It's been fun.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

kerrille

#6 Post by kerrille » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:53 pm

gday mick i found it funny,geez whats the world coming to? too much political bulldust in aus today, lighten up and larff

.....regards nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

g_r

#7 Post by g_r » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:19 pm

sarcstic-yes, hitting a nail on the head-yes, a bit wicked-yes,

RACIST-NO!

just my opinion
watch youre feet, you may never know where they might take you....

Always scout like you are scouting scouts!

Benny Nganabbarru

#8 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:48 pm

The "Racism" card is getting a bit old these days, and in my opinion, in our country, is usually played in a thoughtless manner. If you would like to see just how far the pendulum of different treatment for different cultural groups has swung, just spend a few years in the Territory. In our town, we have a boxing club exclusively for one culture. It would be nice if the pendulum would stop altogether, and everybody could have the same rules and expectations. Further, I think it important that, no matter what group one represents (and we all represent many groups), one needs to not take one's self too seriously. The humour in Mick's joke underscores a more serious issue within each culture, and one would be wise to consider what needs to be done to avoid one's own society having the same problem; and don't think that the ending should make us Aussies look good: the ending gets me thinking about our economic and educational issues. Humour teaches real lessons. In my job, I get labelled the R-word many times, so it is getting kind of old: no matter what the culture, kids occasionally do the wrong thing, and consequences should ensue. Most kids, to their credit, take it on the chin; but some play that thoughtless "Racism" card. I would like any readers of my post to be aware that although I am Australian, my cultural background is quite varied (I am a mongrel :D ) - German, Dutch, Scottish, Danish, Jewish, Indonesian. I believe my great-grandfather experienced a good deal of real racism: being a Dutch Jew in Indonesia, he luckily missed-out on the Nazis in Europe, but still copped a trip to Changi to be a slave labourer for having white skin. My Oma, who looked a little more Indonesian, still spent the war indoors so as not to draw attention to herself. And that's me on this difficult subject!

Mick, you're a good bloke, a thoughtful gentleman who would do no harm to anybody, and would willingly help anybody out who needed help, regardless of what they looked or sounded like. Thanks for sharing this joke, mate! :D

Cheers,

Ben

Gringa Bows

#9 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:57 pm

i just read it again i cant see anything racist,and i laught at it again :lol: .come on Mick your getting to serious mate............Rod

g_r

#10 Post by g_r » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:21 pm

Ben, i think you nailed it.

being from Germany, the border of what is morally ok as humour and what is anti-minority in any way is realy low here (for some good reasons, burnt child shys away from fire).
On the other hand, i feel the same about the "last resort Racist card". I experienced it on many occasions and it just shows that some will take advantage of whatever they can find, not thinking about consequences for others. For example, in our fishing club, if i manage to capture a fishermen without license its unimportant to me where he is from, hes guilty. But some then start to put me in the Racist corner, if they can because of their cultural background. It s sad thing happening in society.

Just as you stated Ben, we all belong to several minorities whatever they are. We should start realizing that and then getting over it.Its just differences, not contraries.

So, i hope i could say what i meant with my english abbilities and the urgent need of sleep.

Bye
watch youre feet, you may never know where they might take you....

Always scout like you are scouting scouts!

Stephen Georgiou

#11 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:00 pm

well put ben and g_r.
Racism is more implied and used on both sides as a last resort card.

I have a mixed background, greek / english and as a child was in a country town of a handful of greek families and the issues that I faced growing up there are not part of the lives of my children and I would like it to stay that way.

I am proud of my heritage as my children are, and feel very Australian, until the hint of racism raises its ugly head. I then feel very greek and want to defend the honour of my father.

So lets get back to the original reason for coming to this forum in the first place and build fellowship. There are many good men here and although Mick Smith has innocently offered a bit of fun that has touched a nerve. I know that a man is measured by the men who call him friend and I know many of Mick's mates and that is good enough an indicator for me of a good man.

So if you get this message Mick, I offer a hand of friendship to you. As I said in my message to you, There are no hard feelings here.
Regards SG

pdccr

#12 Post by pdccr » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:05 pm

Hahahaha
Cheers, Toby

Benny Nganabbarru

#13 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:25 pm

Good post, Stephen. Thanks, mate! :D

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#14 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:46 pm

I believe Stephen had a concern regarding the contents of this thread and raised them. His opinion matters just like everyone elses. I think things have been discussed in a respectful manner and the matter resolved. Thanks everyone.

If Admin thought this thread was really racist it would have been removed when it was first posted up.

Jeff

Glenn

#15 Post by Glenn » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:53 pm

Mick, let people think what they want to think, it's their problem not yours...Glenn...

BMB-Mal

#16 Post by BMB-Mal » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:16 pm

Hilarious :mrgreen:

Coach

#17 Post by Coach » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:00 pm

WOW , I missed this :lol: People really need to lighten up a bit . :roll:

Come back Mick ,, I miss your wabbit hunting stories :lol:

Yes Mick , some people are way too sensitive .
Too many people have left this site in the past , and as a result ,, not much is happening . Sad . All this PC rubbish is getting over bearing , and yes
In the US they didn't know what "the rest of the world" meant.
They think they are the be all and end all in the world :lol: