Very funny,getting into archery

Got a joke too good to keep to yourself? This is where to put it. While all the other Campfires are expected to be reasonably 'serious' in nature, this is where we let our hair down.

Moderator: Moderators

Slackshot

Very funny,getting into archery

#1 Post by Slackshot » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:56 am

If this has been published before im sorry,but its worth going around again

Around age 10 my dad got me one of those little bad ass compound bow beginner kits. Of course, the first month I went around our land sticking arrows in anything that could get stuck by an arrow. Did you know that a 1955 40 horse Farmall tractor tire will take 6 rounds before it goes down?

That got boring, so being the 10 yr. old Dukes of Hazard fan that I was, I quickly advanced to taking strips of cut up T-shirt doused in chainsaw gas tied around the end and was sending flaming arrows all over the place. One summer afternoon, I was shooting flaming arrows into a large rotten oak stump in our backyard. I looked over under the carport and see a shiny brand new can of starting fluid (Ether). The light bulb went off in my head. I grabbed the can and set it on the stump. I thought that it would probably just spray out in a disappointing manner. Let's face it, to a 10 yr old mouth-breather like myself, Ether really doesn't "sound" flammable. So, I went back into the house and got a 1 pound can of Pyrodex (black powder for muzzle loader rifles).

At this point, I set the can of ether on the stump and opened up the can of black powder. My intentions were to sprinkle a little bit around the (Ether) can but it all sorta dumped out on me. No biggie, a 1 lb. Pyrodex and 16 oz (Ether) should make a loud pop, kinda like a firecracker you know? You know what? Screw that, I'm going back in the house for the other can.
Yes, I got a second can of pyrodex and dumped it, too.

Now we're cookin'. I stepped back about 15 ft and lit the 2 stroke arrow. I drew the nock to my cheek and took aim. As I released I heard a clunk as the arrow launched from my bow. In a slow motion time frame, I turned to see my dad getting out of the truck... OH S%#T! He just got home from work. So help me John Wayne, it took 10 minutes for that arrow to go from my bow to the can. My dad was walking towards me in slow motion with a WT look in his eyes. I turned back towards my target just in time to see the arrow pierce the starting fluid can right at the bottom. Right through the main pile of Pyrodex and into the can. Oh #$%#!!!.
When the shock wave hit it knocked me off my feet. I don't know if it was the actual compression wave that threw me back or just reflex jerk back from 235 frickin' decibels of sound. I caught a half a millisecond glimpse of the violence during the initial explosion and I will tell you there was dust, grass, and bugs all hovering 1 ft above the ground as far as I could see. It was like a little low to the ground layer of dust fog full of grasshoppers, spiders, and a worm or two.

The daylight turned purple. Let me repeat this...THE FRICKING DAYLIGHT TURNED PURPLE...!! There was a big sweetgum tree out by the gate going into the pasture. Notice I said "was". That sumbich just got up and ran off. So here I am, on the ground blown completely out of my shoes with my Thundercats T-Shirt shredded, my dad is on the other side of the carport having what I can only assume is a Vietnam flashback: ECHO BRAVO CHARLIE...YOU'RE BRINGIN' EM IN TOO CLOSE!! CEASE FIRE!! DAMNIT, CEASE FIRE!!!!!
His hat has blown off and is 30 ft behind him in the driveway. All windows on the north side of the house are blown out and there is a slow rolling mushroom cloud about 2000 ft. over our backyard. There is a Honda 185 3 wheeler parked on the other side of the yard and the fenders are drooped down and are now touching the tires.

I wish I knew what I said to my dad at this moment. I don't know - I know I said something. I couldn't hear. I couldn't hear inside my own head. I don't think he heard me either... not that it would really matter. I don't remember much from this point on. I said something, felt a sharp pain, and then woke up later. I felt a sharp pain, blacked out, woke later....repeat this process for an hour or so and you get the idea. I remember at one point my mom had to give me CPR. and Dad screaming "Bring Him back to life so I can kill him again". Thanks Mom.

One thing is for sure... I never had to mow around that stump again, Mom had been *****ing about that thing for years and dad never did anything about it. I stepped up to the plate and handled business.

Dad sold his muzzle loader a week or so later. I still have some sort of bone growth abnormality, either from the blast or the beating, or both. I guess what I'm trying to say is, get your kids into archery. It's good discipline and will teach them skills they can use later on in life..
Slackshot aka Gary Case

woodie

Re: Very funny,getting into archery

#2 Post by woodie » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:20 am

Ho man it sounds like you where one lucky boy or unlucky which ever way you look at it. I did some silly things when I was a kid but not as good as that.
At least when we where kids you could do things like that and not have 200 police around with rifles at the ready, maybe only 10.
One of my "fun" things was we had a realy bing bomb fire ready for cracker night and we had a bit of rain so dad up some old kero/diesil mix on it but so did all the uncles. When it came time to light that is when they all found out and noone was going to light it so I said I would, a big NO WAY was said. I said hang on ran and got my bow and an arrow raped with rag, set fire and shot, a big fire ball shot in the air and chears rang out. We made a fire that big again.
woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:57 am

:surprised: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jeff

hazard

#4 Post by hazard » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:34 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote: :surprised: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:
\

Yep that about sums it up for me

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Boris

#5 Post by Boris » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:53 pm

Bought tears to my eyes reading this, funnay as.....

Boris

Gringa Bows

#6 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:25 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jayson Inglis

#7 Post by Jayson Inglis » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:16 pm

Nothing like a kids imagination and lack of estimation. I bet your backside was raw for months. Great story.
Cheers.

rodlonq

#8 Post by rodlonq » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:58 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

TazGtz

#9 Post by TazGtz » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:54 pm

great laugh! :lol:
You don't know? Just ask...

Farmgirl

#10 Post by Farmgirl » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:09 pm

That is seriously funny. Those were the good old days. You have to feel sorry for kids these days, their life is so sanitized. Mind you, I wouldn't want my 14 year old son playing with mushroom clouds. :surprised:

hazard

#11 Post by hazard » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:39 pm

I have read this a couple of times and I still Pi$$ myself laughing :lol:
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

WOLF

#12 Post by WOLF » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:18 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: LOVE IT :biggrin:
Cheers
Neil

57# Predator Hunter
55# Mohawk Classic
80# Lionheart Tri Lam ELB