Do we want a "bow building" forum?

Site-related comments, questions and feedback. Also some hints on how to register, post a graphic, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Do we want a "bow building" forum?

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:25 pm

We have a real mix of members here at Ozbow. We have bowhunters, bowyers (all types), target archers, re-enactment archers, war games archers, armchair archers and everything in between and/or a combination of any of the above and more.

The current forum "Traditional Tackle" seems to cover a lot of territory, ranging from the merits of certain timbers to make self bows to what are the best carbon shafts for accuracy from the latest and greatest state of the art recurve bow. It's a broad spectrum.

Personally, I'm not into building bows. I'm taxing my creative abilities just turning out reasonable arrows. I don't generally read posts that deal with the nitty gritty of bow making, unless there's some new and unusual twist that captures my imagination. I prefer to leave the making of my bows to the experts and I'm happy to pay for the privilege so that I can end up shooting something half reasonable to shoot with.

The "Traditional Tackle" forum is our most popular forum. I think an argument could be raised in favor of further breaking up this forum into two or maybe even more new forums. We could have one purely for bow making, another for manufactured bows and yet another for ancillary items such as quivers, tabs, gloves and arrows.

I'm a lazy cuss. I don't enjoy opening a forum on my ultra slow dial up, only to find it's a subject that I'm not interested in. I would much prefer to be able to "cut to the chase" any day.

Waddayarekkin?

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#2 Post by greybeard » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:29 pm

Mick,
Yes, I do think it an excellent idea as it would make browsing the forums a lot easier.
Daryl.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:45 pm

Waddayarekkin?
Yep, ya are lazy!!! :lol:

I can tell you that there is not a hope of us dividing the Tradtional Tackle forum up into a lot of smaller forums as you suggested. However, I can see some merit in a designated bow making forum. I will give it some more thought and discuss it a bit more and will let you know what is decided.

Thanks for the suggestion Mick.

Jeff

Graeme K

#4 Post by Graeme K » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:41 pm

I think a bow making forum is not a bad idea but I am not fussed as I check the new posts regularly and look at pretty much all of them --- its not as if the number is prohibitive --- Graeme

nimrod

#5 Post by nimrod » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:56 am

anything that can teach me something new is GOOD at the moment trying z splices I am crap at it why I dont know ?? but will keep going till I get it right NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET this forum could cure my problem cheers hugh.

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:47 pm

Well my proposal doesn't seem to have illicited much of a response. My thanks to the people who did respond. :)

It seems to me that recently, posts relating to the various aspect of bow building have been more numerous than those relating to all the other subjects combined. :shock:

Maybe I'm just jealous because I haven't the ability or knowledge to join in. :P

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Graeme K

#7 Post by Graeme K » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:31 pm

Hi Mick
I think you are underestimating your ability or overestimating the difficulty of making a bow. Armed with a nice straight grained length of hardwood and just about anything that has a sharp edge that will cut I reckon anyone can make a bow that shoots. All it takes is a little patience and persistence. I recently watched as my 12 year old neighbor make a good bow using a hand saw a rasp and an old knife as a scraper. I think the secret is to realise that you do not have to produce a work of art to make it all worth while. Any bow that you make with your own hands will give you great pleasure and after you finish the first it all seems easy so why not give it a go.

Graeme

MaylandL

#8 Post by MaylandL » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:47 pm

I would definitely be in favour of having a separate section for bow building for the experienced, novice and budding bowyers. It would be a convenient place to have all of the bow building threads in the one place.

Happy shooting all :)
They'll never hit us from this dist....

Mick Smith

#9 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:07 pm

I must say, I reckon it would be very "cool" to make a good bow with your own hands. It would be something extra special to take it on a successful hunt. 8)

Just a simple selfbow would be a good starting point. I'd really love to make a nice longbow backed with bamboo.

One day maybe ..... It takes a while for me to get into gear. :?

Mick

oliver

#10 Post by oliver » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:20 pm

This is a great idea mick.

It would make it so much easier to browse and to find the info that you want.

Instead of splitting traditional tackle up perhaps we could just introduce some new forums to handle things like, as mick suggested, bow making, arrow making, and maybe tackle itself could be modified so as to house things such as quivers and gloves as that's what the forum name suggests to me.

If any of the Admin or Moderators want some help in sorting the old trad tackle posts into the new categories I would be very happy to assist.

Regards.

Oliver
"Archery may not be the sport of kings. But it is definitely the KING OF SPORTS."-Howard Hill

Mick Smith

#11 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:33 pm

As usual, I didn't explain myself clearly. My initial proposal was to introduce new forums, not "sub" forums as I may have implied. We could have forums something along the lines of ...

Traditional Bow Building

Other Traditional Tackle

Personally, I'd like to see a forum devoted entirely to "Quivers" and another one totally devoted to "Hats". :lol:

Mick

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:32 pm

Well, after discussions Adim and Moderators we have decided to leave the 'Traditional Tackle' forum as it is. We all felt that there wasn't a need to break the forum into different sections.

Thanks all for your suggestions and input.

Jeff