Ozbow Photography Competition

Please read these regularly. They will convey where the Ozbow site is up to, what is planned & happening in the short term, responses to general feedback, and so on.

Moderator: Moderators

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Ozbow Photography Competition

#1 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:34 pm

G’day Everyone,

This is to let you know that Ozbow is running a Traditional Bowhunting/Archery photography competition. Details are as follows:

The subject must include some kind of Traditional Archery item. It can be as simple as a photo of your arrows, shooting at the range or a shot taken while out Bowhunting; it’s up to you. A little explanation about the photo wouldn’t hurt either. The photo can be a favourite from years gone by or something taken recently.

The photos must be in focus and be well exposed. Also ensure that they are no wider than 800 pixels and preferably under 100kb in size (thinking of download time).

You can enter more than once.

Please place your entries here http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6930 in the Photography Forum!!!

Competition closes at midnight on the 30th of September 2008.

The winner will be announced in the first week of October.

I did a little swap with Mike G, a buckle for one of his hand crafted armguards, so I will place the armguard up as a prize for the competition.
Hunter-Armguard-001.jpg
Hunter-Armguard-001.jpg (22.57 KiB) Viewed 7507 times
I really enjoy photography and I think it goes hand in hand with Bowhunting and Archery so I am looking forward to seeing your photos.

Jeff

Gringa Bows

Re: Ozbow Photography Competition

#2 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:46 pm

good one Jeff, i will have to get some decent photos before the end of september.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:32 pm

Well, after a few days of deliberation the judges, GrahameA, Dennis La Varenne and myself, have decided on a winner for the Ozbow Photo Competition.

The winner is CM Sackett for his photo titled GLASSIN’.
Glassin'.jpg
Glassin'.jpg (241.27 KiB) Viewed 7369 times
Congratulations CM!!!

This photo was chosen for a number of reasons including the subject, composition, lighting and technical aspects associated with the shot.

The subject is interesting in that it shows a Bowhunter lying down on the side of a ridge with his binoculars up to his eyes and his bow by his side but it doesn’t show what he is actually looking at so it makes one wonder.

The composition is good as it not only draws ones attention to what is happening, but also to the Bowhunter’s position in relation to his surroundings.

The lighting is superb as it is soft and not harsh, suggestive of early morning or late afternoon.

The focus and exposure is spot on. The depth of field is excellent and a high enough shutter speed was used to freeze the grass stems which appear to have been swaying ever so gently in a breeze.

Together these things produced one terrific capture so congratulations once again CM. I’m sure all of us can learn a lot from this photograph.

There were several other contenders for the prize and the following photos are highly commended.

Gundy’s - Photo of his bow and Akubra.
Tuffcity’s - Days end - BC summer vacation style.
Kimall’s - Daughters quiver and arrows.
Al Kidner’s - Pic of my Isobel.
CM’s - "Me... In Perspective"
Al Kidner’s - My hunting partner and close mate.
Buford’s - Arrows

Thanks must go to all of you who entered the competition, there were some great shots so thanks for taking the time to enter. Hopefully we will be able to run another competition at a later date.

Jeff

gundy

#4 Post by gundy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:53 pm

And a great choice! Congrats CM. That photo of yours really was a unique shot in my opinion! 8)

Brett Finger

#5 Post by Brett Finger » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:55 pm

congratulations CM,
a worthy winner indeed,look foward to more quality photo's of your travells.

congratulations to OzBow and MikeG for running a most execlent and sucessfull competion.
Kind Regards, Brett
So long as the new Moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow , so long will the fasicnation of Archery keep hold of the hearts of Men
Foundation member - East Coast TRAD Bowhunters - E.C.T.B - we are smoke, we are rumor
NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him

Al Kidner

#6 Post by Al Kidner » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:25 pm

Well done CM. I too liked that pic and saved it as my background. Looking forward to the next comp.

AK.

CM Sackett

#7 Post by CM Sackett » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:46 pm

Ah, you are a humbling, as well as an encouraging lot! I tip my hat in quiet, heartfelt THANKS!

I did love all the others mentioned above... for pure color excellence, it was Al's mate (wow, what a pic!).

And the shot of the quiver and arrows made me look, again... and again... and again.

But my own personal favorite (as a father, perhaps) was Al' lil TREASURE!

Thanks again, my friends. I'm a winner just being here.

Sackett
"The cost of Freedom tends to run very high. The cost of Apathy... incalculable."

piggy

#8 Post by piggy » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:51 am

Well deserved CM and thanks for your pictures.

Cheers

Al Kidner

#9 Post by Al Kidner » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:34 pm

Thanks CM, kind words for sure.

AK.

Tuffcity

#10 Post by Tuffcity » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:20 pm

Congrats CM! Nice photo!

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...