Google Ads

Please read these regularly. They will convey where the Ozbow site is up to, what is planned & happening in the short term, responses to general feedback, and so on.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Google Ads

#1 Post by GrahameA » Wed May 07, 2008 9:04 am

If you see a Google Advertisment on the bottom of the page it is just a bit of testing that is being carried out.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

buzz

Re: Google Ads

#2 Post by buzz » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:42 pm

Interesting. My work has a content filter and usually blocks entire pages, though sometimes block ads or banners. It blocks the google ads, and this prevent using the 'back' buttons on the browsers to navigate properly. So if anyone with filters has trouble moving around.... this might be the issue. All other navigation is working fine.

Coach

#3 Post by Coach » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:49 pm

Havent had any problems with it . But I do hope the site isnt going to become a money making venture like some other sites , with banners/ads etc . flashing all the time .

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:22 pm

But I do hope the site isnt going to become a money making venture like some other sites , with banners/ads etc . flashing all the time .
No way!!!

Jeff

Luke

#5 Post by Luke » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:38 am

Can I ask what the purpose of these ads is Jeff?

I'm just wondering because
#
Womens StepIn Wakebinding
Wakeboard Boots Made Easy! Wrap your foot in Support
http://www.ridecwb.com
seems a tad out of place for a bow site. ;-)
Founder/Administrator The Bowhunters Group of Australia
Design Director & Editorial Assistant -

Xtfreak

#6 Post by Xtfreak » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:09 am

Works fine for me...
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

GrahameA

#7 Post by GrahameA » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:45 am

Luke they are auto generated by Google.

And they provide a small income to Jeff to help offset the cost of running the site.

Personally if some people don't like them they could always go and run their own forum.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Luke

#8 Post by Luke » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:37 am

Thanks Grahame,
no probs at all here mate, was just wondering why they were there as I interpreted Jeff's reply to mean they were not there to make money.

So as you can imagine this was a little confusing.

But they are to make money and fair enough too.

So, does Ozbow get a certain amount per click on the ads? If so, all we have to do is click on some every now and then to make Ozbow some money? Sounds like a nice simple plan to me and a good one too. :)

cheers for the clarification mate.

Luke

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:50 am

Funny how things get interpreted. My reply was meaning I have no intention of having the site running pop up and large banner ads etc that a lot of web sites have.

As Grahame said, the purpose was/is an experiment to see if a little income may be generated by these low key ads on the bottom of the page.

Jeff

GrahameA

#10 Post by GrahameA » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:31 am

Hi Luke

I an not "aux fait" with the mechanics of it all but I understand that it works on the basis of them being displayed not the click. At this stage they are very experimental as we are yet to get an idea of how much they generate. My expectations are that it will be very small as you need to have traffic in the hundreds of thousands to make anything worthwhile. However a few cents a year will help to offset the cost of running the forum and the site. You would be well aware from your own experiences the time and cost involved in keeping a site such as this up and running.

Anyhow, at the moment as Jeff said it is a trial and we will see what happens.

There are all sorts of models for meeting the costs and the current one that is used by Jeff works fine and do not think he has any ideas about changing.

A small aside for all the budding entrepenurs - if you are considering doing it on their own sites don't ask us about them. Go and read up all about it on Google.
Grahame.

Luke

#11 Post by Luke » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:37 am

No worries.

Always interesting to see and hear how other admins do it.

Thanks fellas.

Luke

kerrille

#12 Post by kerrille » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:17 am

Jeff i recon there a good idear if they help with the site and if you made a quid well good on ya with the help,laughter banter and just good reading i get of this site who cares about pop ups ,i go on other sites and dont notice them anyway
I'll say it again what this site has done for archery especially trad i recon yer bloods worth bottlin and if you made millions i wouldnt care just keep it going.....

.........Nev
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

GrahameA

#13 Post by GrahameA » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:39 pm

Nev
kerrille wrote:Jeff i recon there a good idear if they help with the site and if you made a quid well good on ya with the help,laughter banter and just good reading i get of this site who cares about pop ups ,i go on other sites and dont notice them anyway
I'll say it again what this site has done for archery especially trad i recon yer bloods worth bottlin and if you made millions i wouldnt care just keep it going.....

.........Nev
I have no difficulty in saying no one has made any money out of this site. If anything it has cost money, a lot of time, a fair chunk good humour and added a few grey hairs. It is amazing how ones good humour disappears after a few years. :D
Grahame.

kerrille

#14 Post by kerrille » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:03 pm

Im sorry not only Jeff but Grahame, dennis and any one else who has ran or helped run this site,deserve it all too

....Nev
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:23 pm

Nev,

I can assure you there will be no pop ups!!! :D

I can assure everyone that no one is making money out of this site except for members who sell gear in the Trade Blanket. In fact if it wasn't for the generousity of others, especially Grahame looking after the tech side of things, Jude & I would be well and truly in the red financially and the site closed. The buckles we sell go along way towards covering our costs. I'm just glad we are able to keep it running for the benefit of everyone.

Jeff

jape

#16 Post by jape » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:38 pm

Why don't you form a private club and charge say $10 forum membership (still allow people to browse for free but join for $10 if they want to post or access buildalongs areas for example)? I would pay up immediately and if only a third of the 946 members did you'd have $3000 a year toward costs. Maybe after ten years, a free membership to reward loyalty and family discounts for people like Nev? Life membership for $100? You could give out honorary memberships to yourself and mods/ex mods of course!

Coach

#17 Post by Coach » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:28 pm

jape wrote:Why don't you form a private club and charge say $10 forum membership (still allow people to browse for free but join for $10 if they want to post or access buildalongs areas for example)? I would pay up immediately and if only a third of the 946 members did you'd have $3000 a year toward costs. Maybe after ten years, a free membership to reward loyalty and family discounts for people like Nev? Life membership for $100? You could give out honorary memberships to yourself and mods/ex mods of course!
Stupid Idea ! Its bad enough everything else costs a fortune , let alone having to pay to be a member of a Internet Forum ! Lets segregate people according to their income and interests , yeah right ! The idea of a Forum is usually a place where everyone can get together and SHARE Ideas ,, not PAY for them !
Might as well say to people , "If ya want to talk to me , that will cost you 50cents " Stuff that , there is enough greed and money making ventures on the net as it is .
I've seen one site in particular go from wanting to promote bowhunting and share stories , to , give me your money to Advertise and even a classified section where you pay to have your Ad a "sticky" And people get greedy and wont even tell you about their hunt , because it is "saved for a magazine ", bloody pathetic IMO .
I would rather spend my hard earned dollars doing it rather than reading about !
I am reaching the end of my tether with this sort of crap .
I would pay up immediately
Well ,maybe you need to get a real life .

jape

#18 Post by jape » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:14 pm

You really do make it hard not to think of you as anything other than a pillock mate. Your opinions are yours but your manner is pathetic. Grow up.

Coach

#19 Post by Coach » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:25 pm

Sorry , I am sure . Next time I will word it all eloquently so as not to offend you !
Still a stupid Idea , either way you say it .
Please deposit 50C into my account for that response !
Or maybe you would like to enthrall me with your writings of that missed rabbit eating your veges in kind . LOL
Afterthought . The money you propose to pay for a website membership . might be better off given to a Charity like the Cancer Council

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#20 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:17 pm

To finalize discussion on this topic, this site is not a commercial proposition and I am not interested in it becoming one. I am happy to see it remain as an amatuer form for the benefit of Traditional Bowhunting and Archery.

Jeff