New Interface & Site Upgrade.

Please read these regularly. They will convey where the Ozbow site is up to, what is planned & happening in the short term, responses to general feedback, and so on.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

New Interface & Site Upgrade.

#1 Post by GrahameA » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:15 pm

Hi Everyone.

A major upgrade has been done to the software for the sight and it appears to be working.

at the moment the generated menu on the Main Page is not working. Guess what I will churning through over the next few days.

If you have any problems send me a pm.

If you click on the link that says "Check Out The Latest Posts on Our Campfires" you will get a listing of the posts in the last 24 hours.

Please note - The Forum now looks very different. Spend a little time looking at how to Send and Receive PM's before panicing.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

jape

Re: New Interface & Site Upgrade.

#2 Post by jape » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:42 pm

looks very nice Grahame, fast too on dial up - but I did like that front page for finding quick links to recent posts, so good luck with it!

btw the from/return address in email topic reply notifications is kris.amy .... you might want to change that back to ozbow?
and my sig has disappeared, time for a new one anyway

GrahameA

#3 Post by GrahameA » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:09 pm

Afternoon Jape

If you click on the link that says "Latest Posts" you will get a listing of the posts in the last 24 hours.

That is a temporary fix. (Did it while you were posting.)

The Index will be very fluid over the next days. We will probably go to a frame setup with the top frame showing the normal fixed in formation and the bottom showing the posts fronm the last 24 hours.

If I don't slit my wrists in frustration.

My sig is fine.

kris.amy is our technical host Guru - why shouldn't he get all the complaints for the next day or so, :D

I guess I had better change it.

EIP is our host provider.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Jeffro

#4 Post by Jeffro » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:47 pm

looks good im glad its the same color

Coach

#5 Post by Coach » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:17 pm

May I ask , What was wrong with the other one ?

Glenn Newell

#6 Post by Glenn Newell » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:41 pm

I like the site upgrade, it looks good...Glen...

jape

#7 Post by jape » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:17 pm

just checking to see if my sig comes up now i changed it

[size=200][color=red][b]NO![/b][/color][/size]

hmmm, nor is the coding and it shows as OFF when posting but is set as YES as global default in control panel

have fun Grahame .....

GrahameA

#8 Post by GrahameA » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:38 pm

Okay Jape

What have you done.

Lots of other people have signatures and code working.

The problem must at your end. The things you learn from a spell on a Helpdesk

Set it to "On".

Make sure you have "Attach a signature" ticked.
Grahame.

jape

#9 Post by jape » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:11 am

Didn't do nuffink!
They were all set 'on' or 'yes' anyway, I checked thatyesterday, but I went to those controls and re-submitted them.
BBCode shows as of in this thread but I just looked at another thread and my sig came up, not in this one though ....

GrahameA

#10 Post by GrahameA » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:54 am

Morning Jape
Didn't do nuffink!
They were all set 'on' or 'yes' anyway, I checked thatyesterday, but I went to those controls and re-submitted them.
BBCode shows as of in this thread but I just looked at another thread and my sig came up, not in this one though ....
That's the way deny everything

Interesting that it has showed up in others and not this. :roll: :?:

I am still finding my way around the new setup - two hours to do a tiny change. The change took 30 seconds - the other 1 hour 59 minutes and 30 sec's went in discovering that all the files are cached and I had to get rid of the cached files - and then you have to find how to do that.

It doesn't help that my total knowledge of php is how you spell it. :mrgreen:

You should have all the necessary items turned on - went through and did a manual set of the them all late last night - and listened to Documentary on Agincourt at the same time.

It will all be revealed when I work it out. :D
Grahame.

Hood

#11 Post by Hood » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:38 am

Looks good can't wait to see it once it's fine tuned and the Ozbow logos are back on the pages.

kerrille

#12 Post by kerrille » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:41 am

Me thinks its lookin good great work ''G''

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:49 am

Jeff,

Well nothing really but this is an upgrade and when everything is sorted I feel it will have some very good advantages over the old board. From my understanding we will have added security, blocking of “Bots”, “spiders” or “crawlers” which will save Admin a lot of time, and I feel once we all get used to the new outlay we will all appreciate it as it has some great new enhancements. :D

Everyone please be patient as the board is configured and everything made to work again.

Thanks Grahame for all the hours you are putting into this upgrade.

Jeff

jape

#14 Post by jape » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:55 am

[quote="Stickbow Hunter"]Thanks Grahame for all the hours you are putting into this upgrade.
Jeff[/quote]

seconded

the blocking of bots is good, they can database threads outside of your site security and privacy rules

Grahame, don't worry about the details on my account, I am not, sometimes I can glitch computer systems on the other side of the planet just by looking at them ... and I also noticed the post count is not working ...

buzz

#15 Post by buzz » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:13 am

You might find some people have trouble finding the site through favourites and links.
The old link was http: //www .ozbow.net/phpbb2/index.php
The new one is http: //www .ozbow.net/phpBB3/index.php
(my spaces added to stop it creating a URL)

Can we get goaty-oaty back? :lol:
End emoticons?

hmmm no signatures here either, and the setting looks ok in control panel....

--Admin Edit --

What do you mean "No Signature"??
Last edited by buzz on Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
sssshhhh.... they are watching

Axe

#16 Post by Axe » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:32 am

buzz wrote:You might find some people have trouble finding the site through favourites and links.
The old link was http: //www .ozbow.net/phpbb2/index.php
The new one is http: //www .ozbow.net/phpBB3/index.php
(my spaces added to stop it creating a URL)
You got that right

GrahameA

#17 Post by GrahameA » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:09 pm

Hi All

To prevent issues it is good practice to bookmark the root of a site. Bookmarking generated pages or pages within a site can often lead to problems.

To access Ozbow:

http://www.ozbow.net
Grahame.

jape

#18 Post by jape » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:31 pm

glad it isn't only me Buzz - the 'no sigs' showing and no bbcode if it is in this thread alone may be because it is a 'moderator only edit' part of the forum, not necessarily logical but to do with permissions?

GrahameA

#19 Post by GrahameA » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:35 pm

Jape & Buzz

Try clicking on the logos on the top of the page.
Grahame.

buzz

#20 Post by buzz » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:11 pm

As suggested, I think I'll bookmark the root, not the forum. Makes troubleshooting easier.

Hmmm, still no sig. I tried resetting it to 'on' in the cotnrol panel. I notice there is no option to post with or without a sig in the actual 'post' window/page.

GrahameA

#21 Post by GrahameA » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:36 pm

Jape and Buzz

The ACP has some nifty little enhancements. It really does make Administration of the what is quite an extensive site so much easier - I am certain Jeff will love it once he finds his way around it.

If I use Jape's setting it does not include a Sig, etc. in the Announcements area. So the issue is somewhere deep within the bowels of the system. That issue is a fair way down the list so I will look at but it will be a while as you are capable of working as things are.

BTW
glad it isn't only me Buzz - the 'no sigs' showing and no bbcode if it is in this thread alone may be because it is a 'moderator only edit' part of the forum, not necessarily logical but to do with permissions?
Yep. :D
Grahame.

GrahameA

#22 Post by GrahameA » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:42 pm

test of Jape with a signature and using Jape's permissions. (Bit of sophisticated debugging now available.)

Okay Jape - got a signature now??

If Jape's work then all should work

--
Quod scripsi, scripsi

The Power of Admin privileges. :lol:
Grahame.

buzz

#23 Post by buzz » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:17 pm

hmm, interesting.... the URL seems to be case sensitive (well for me, from here, at least.) http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/index.php don't get those B's in lower case.

ooooh, signature options down there \/ .

jape

#24 Post by jape » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:12 pm

All working now apart from POST NUMBERS on left not increasing, clever Grahame! Now just explain to your boss what you were doing all day ...

Coach

#25 Post by Coach » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:17 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:
Jeff,

Well nothing really but this is an upgrade and when everything is sorted I feel it will have some very good advantages over the old board. From my understanding we will have added security, blocking of “Bots”, “spiders” or “crawlers” which will save Admin a lot of time, and I feel once we all get used to the new outlay we will all appreciate it as it has some great new enhancements. :D

Everyone please be patient as the board is configured and everything made to work again.

Thanks Grahame for all the hours you are putting into this upgrade.

Jeff
Thankyou for replying Jeff , I thought there may have been issues with PHP 2 , as my site is having problems at the moment .

GrahameA

#26 Post by GrahameA » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:46 pm

Jape
jape wrote:All working now apart from POST NUMBERS on left not increasing, clever Grahame! Now just explain to your boss what you were doing all day ...
My boss is a whip cracking mongrel and I am certain I will pay for this time in blood. :D And it is chewing up the hours. I will worry about that incrementing post numbers much later. Notice more images at the top of the page - be daring try them out.

I note you have discovered you have BB Code capability as well now. Like a kid with a new toy. :D

--Edit--

Post number are incrementing - could this be another problem unique to Jape.

Buzz

Yep - it is case sensitive. The site lives on a Unix based server system - ask Jape about Linux - and is case sensitive. Unsure what it is these days Linux/BSD/Mac or what. The only definite thing is that it is not an IIS system. :mrgreen:
Grahame.

buzz

#27 Post by buzz » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:58 pm

Aaaah.

Others will also notice that pre conversion email notifications will no longer work,.... but you get that I suppose.

Also... it probably isn't me, but I thought previously after you visited a forum it would change all the icons that indicated a new post back to their plain grey 'no new posts' icon. There are a couple of sections with posts I've not looked at from a couple of days ago that are still showing as new posts. I didn't think it used to do that.... though that said, I reckon another phbb forum I visit does the same.

GrahameA

#28 Post by GrahameA » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:56 pm

Hi Buzz

You should get a notification that you have a PM sent via email. I have sent you a PM as a test.

If that is not happening let me know as I am getting them.
There are a couple of sections with posts I've not looked at from a couple of days ago that are still showing as new posts.
Just checked and I am not having that issue. Are you certain that you are not looking at cached information??
Grahame.

GrahameA

#29 Post by GrahameA » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:22 pm

Hi All

If you ever see this message :
Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.
It is because the SQL server is in use - it will all start working again in a minute or so.

So instead of waiting click the image on the top left of the page and it will take you to the index page of the forum.
Grahame.

Jeff

#30 Post by Jeff » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:29 am

looks real neat well done.jeff
MAY THE SPIRIT OF THE WOLF WATCH OVER YOU AND KEEP YOU SAFE