Photo File Sizes

Please read these regularly. They will convey where the Ozbow site is up to, what is planned & happening in the short term, responses to general feedback, and so on.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Photo File Sizes

#1 Post by GrahameA » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:16 am

Morning All

Just a bit of background stuff.

There is a 200kb limit on attachments for the forum. So if you try and load a 250kb photo it will not work.

The vast majority of users of the site keep their photo sizes, and consequent files size, down and I thank them very much.

However we still get photos posted that verge on the upper limit. These have several knock on effects:

1 The disk storage at the host goes up and the amount of data that has to be downloaded each time increases. This means that the file server takes longer to deliver all the data. Consider this to bottlekneck 1.

2 The amount of data you need to receive goes up and if you are on dial-up ypu will really notice the difference. Consider this bottlekneck 2. Even with a fast broadband connection I am noticing the difference with some files.

3 Because the amount of data that has to downloaded has increased it will add to your downloads. Should not be a problem for most people as downloads limits are high but for some people on low quotas it may be enough to push you over the edge.

The other side of this is that bit photos don't fit on a lot of peoples screeens. If you have not read this post it would be good if you were to do so.

http://www.ozbow.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2642

We will be moving to a 150kb attachment limit in the near future. That should not effect any of the usual posters.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

gundy

#2 Post by gundy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:48 pm

Grahame, is this associated with a lot of the photos in older posts not showing anymore eg. deleted?

GrahameA

#3 Post by GrahameA » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:47 pm

Hi Gundy

No, I don't think so. I am convinced that we may have lost a few files when our old host had a significant server issue.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Coach

#4 Post by Coach » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:23 pm

Perhaps if this is such a problem, a server change may help ?? Or just get rid of the attachment feature and get people to use Photobucket etc ?

I like to resize my pics in MS Paint , and that reduces them to about 70 kb , from a 4MB pic ,and aids me in a quicker upload time as well :wink:

gundy

#5 Post by gundy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:25 pm

Its weird, I always compress my files to as much as possible without loosing quality. It seems that all of mu recent pics are gone (those that were uploaded) and my gallery is all wishy washy too.

Coach

#6 Post by Coach » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:51 pm

gundy wrote:Its weird, I always compress my files to as much as possible without loosing quality. It seems that all of mu recent pics are gone (those that were uploaded) and my gallery is all wishy washy too.
Sounds like a stuff up on the hosts/server end to me . I also have noticed this site is down a lot in the last week :?

Jeffro

#7 Post by Jeffro » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:05 pm

Coach wrote:to I also have noticed this site is down a lot in the last week :?
but thats only because you keep trying to log on every 10 minutes constantly 24 hours a day :wink: :wink: :wink:

Coach

#8 Post by Coach » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:14 pm

Jeffro wrote:
Coach wrote:to I also have noticed this site is down a lot in the last week :?
but thats only because you keep trying to log on every 10 minutes constantly 24 hours a day :wink: :wink: :wink:
No it aint