In Response To Sued Forums

Please read these regularly. They will convey where the Ozbow site is up to, what is planned & happening in the short term, responses to general feedback, and so on.

Moderator: Moderators

erron

In Response To Sued Forums

#1 Post by erron » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:30 pm

Grahame,

I read the link and note it's quote:
"Lawsuits are a short-sighted and self-destructive way of dealing with criticism," said EFA Chairperson Dale Clapperton. "As McDonalds and many other companies have learned, suing your critics will cause much more damage and bad publicity than the criticism itself ever would."

"The outpouring of support from Whirlpool users and others demonstrates that members of the Australian Internet community will zealously defend their right to freedom of speech online, and their ability to express their honest opinions about goods and services. The fact that 2Clix has apparently decided to abandon the lawsuit demonstrates that people power has worked, in this case."

EFA strongly believes that consumer criticism of unsatisfactory goods or services should not be suppressed by the threat of a lawsuit.
So is this what Ozbow has come to? Has this site completely lost its balls? Since when has "honest consumer criticism" become something to be fearful of, to the point where fair exchange of opinion is suppressed? Have we survived the likes of Hilter only to be cowed by Big Business?

I was aghast when Jeff rolled over to Telstra over Ozbow's naming of its 'for sale' forum as "The Trading Post". This was a term in common usage for centuries before Multinationals like Telstra came on the scene.

Erron
Last edited by erron on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

GrahameA

#2 Post by GrahameA » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:28 am

Good Morning Erron

You may find this discussion interesting.

http://www.ozbow.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5597

Fair comment is fair comment - however ....

As for the "Trading Post" issue - I think he did the smart thing. A large number of notices were sent out. The last thing many people want is to end up in the middle of a legal battle. Unfortunately, the issues are not as black and white as we would all wish. Consider the "Ugg Boot" case.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

jindydiver

#3 Post by jindydiver » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:27 am

I am disappointed with your attitude erron. Is it more cowardly to save the website's money for better things than lawyers fees than it is to post that the site is cowardly and then edit that from your post?
If you don't mean to say things you shouldn't post them in the first place.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

erron

#4 Post by erron » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:29 am

Mick,

I was disappointed myself, in the original post, so I removed the unnecessary acrimony and insulting language. I hope you don’t consider it cowardly to recognize a mistake and remedy it. That’s one of the good things about this site, being able to change/update/remove your own posts. For those offended by that post’s original contents, I apologise.

Grahame,

I understand the arguments but my points stand. I feel strongly about freedom of speech. That used to be one of the great things about the early internet. It’s a shame we are giving so much up with so little protest.

Erron