Moderators Needed!

Please read these regularly. They will convey where the Ozbow site is up to, what is planned & happening in the short term, responses to general feedback, and so on.

Moderator: Moderators

erron

Moderators Needed!

#1 Post by erron » Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:37 am

A Call For Moderators

The time has come for me to request help in running this site. Due to family, work and other commitments I am mostly unable to look in on Ozbow during the day now, so I need other pairs of eyes to help out.

Apart from this, I want a team of moderators for the following reasons:
  • :idea: It will free me of some of the work so I can concentrate on upgrading the site. Specifically, I want to completely redo the Home page, and give all pages leading off it a consistent, user-friendly look and feel. I also want to work on adding content in areas such as our Lore & Legend section, add a section covering hunting and fishing laws in OZ state by state, and more. (Dennis, I'll give you a call some time if it's alright, to discuss this?)

:idea: It will enhance the overall moderation of the site, given that a team of people will be looking in, so hopefully, things that require attention will be more likely to be caught early.

:idea: It will give a richer, more balanced approach to running the site, having input from varied sources.
What's involved?

A moderator of Ozbow will be asked to:
  • :idea: Oversee the various posts to ensure nothing libellous, disrespectful or of a nature that might be damaging to archery or bowhunting appears on the site. Moderators will be able to move such posts to a private forum where they will be subject to the scrutiny and action of the site Administrator (yours truly, for now);

:idea: Notify the Administrator of any development requiring action, such as the site being down;

:idea: Where they are able to do so, help users who request assistance regarding use of the site. (n.b. this is not so important a role that those who aren't tech savvy should be deterred);

:idea: Provide input to discussions, to show that the site is overseen by moderators who are actively involved;

:idea: "Kick start" new topics, if possible. This is to encourage all users to do the same from time to time. All too often with a small site like Ozbow, the work of starting new discussion topics (and of helping others along) is left to a few stalwarts. The site then gets to look like a one man show. (I hope you're all getting the hint, :lol:);

:idea: Suggest improvements or additions to the site. I know everyone is encouraged to do this now, but as a moderator a person might feel more inclined to do so.
Who is eligible?

Anyone who wants to do the job and feels they can, basically. There is probably a requirement for you to at least look in every day or so, if only briefly, to check the latest posts, and that the site seems okay.

Don't worry about having to be a computer nerd to do this: the most important task is to keep the site free of damaging material. At the moment, anyone can register and post, so if I, as the only person able to delete bad posts, am away and an anti decides to have a play here, or someone posts something unethical or offensive, that post will stay there until I return! Not a good situation for us, I'm sure you agree.

So, basically, if you have an idea of the ethics standards we are about on Ozbow, are willing to learn to move a post to the "sin bin" (dead easy, trust me!) and can email me, you're qualified!

Any takers?

If interested, please email me with the word 'moderator' or something like that in the header.

Any feedback or questions, let me have it. I'll be away for the next day or so, but will get back to you ASAP!

Thanks folks!

:)

Erron

erron

#2 Post by erron » Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:16 pm

2 things I should have mentioned in the original post:

:idea: Non residents of OZ are welcome to apply. This is because I see Ozbow as being part of a global network of traditional sites, and appreciate other's viewpoints. Besides, we're all going to be working on a common theme of standards, so there should be no problem. Also, it will help to have people logging in from different time zones at different times of day, as it will give more even coverage.

:idea: Please feel free to nominate people you think would be suitable for the job.

If I've forgotten anything else, let me know.

:)

Erron