Would This Entice You To Post?

Please read these regularly. They will convey where the Ozbow site is up to, what is planned & happening in the short term, responses to general feedback, and so on.

Moderator: Moderators

Would Inducements Entice You To Post More Often?

Yes, I'd be in it!
100%
Maybe
No votes
Unsure
No votes
No, it wouldn't affect the rate I post
No votes

Total votes: 1

erron

Would This Entice You To Post?

#1 Post by erron » Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:21 pm

If I had a draw every week or month for a dozen broadheads, or some smallish prize like that, and you went into the draw once for every substantial post you made, would that encourage you to post any more than than you do now?

Sorry about all these polls, but I really appreciate getting to know what you think, and it helps me to fine tune the site.

You may only browse here, and that's fine, but if people pretty much stop posting to the point where I feel like I'm wasting my time, that's it for Ozbow, I'm afraid. I just have a lot of other things that I tend to neglect (like family) in order to keep this site going, and in the event the site traffic died away that much, I'd go back to those other interests.

So please, those of you who mostly log in, read and leave without posting: just post occasionally, yeah, pretty please???????

:wink:

thanks for the feedback,

Erron
Last edited by erron on Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dennis La Varenne

#2 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:50 pm

Erron,

It wouldn't make a scrap of difference to me.

I think that we have a remarkable resource in this site for the preservation and dissemination of trad business and skills. As a group, we cannot afford to lose this tenuous connection with our past. It was wonderful how trads jumped in at the drop of a hat to help new folk out with problems.

We often had varying opinions on how to do things, but the basic skills were there, and that is what we must keep up. If you look through all of the available trad literature, you cannot help but notice the generosity of knowledge. On the other hand we tend to become very angry if we feel that our culture is in any way threatened as some of the merger business demonstrated.

I was getting a bit worried about how quiet the site had gone lately and I think you were the same. I kept popping in and not much was happening at all. Now that I have gotten over much of my very busy period, I can afford to look around a bit longer and perhaps help a few people.

I had also begun to worry that my views on hunting ethics were putting people off. I hope not, because it is something which the whole hunting community must come to grips with very soon.

It is not our respective equipment which will destroy us, but our lack of a distinct and strong ethical standard which reflects those of the existing Animal Cruelty laws in most of the States. Our club codes of ethics and fair chase aren't worth a legal cracker as a defence against a charge of animal cruelty believe it or not.

I have recently been looking over and downloading these laws along the Eastern seaboard (I will get to SA, WA and NT soon) and have realised that in almost every hunting story, there is a provable case of animal cruelty or aggravated animal cruelty.

We naively think that we are exempt from prosecution, and that these laws don't apply to hunters or when destroying pest animals.

Bad news!!! They do. You cannot kill a pest animal or any other animal of any kind without due regard to animal cruelty laws. There are very few outs I am afraid. Have a look for yourselves. I can provide URLs if anyone wants them.

The worrying thing is that we are broadcasting these episodes over the internet, on videos and in magazines without any regard for the consequences to ourselves.

Anyway, with that, I hope everyone comes back to the site.

Dennis La Varenne

adam

#3 Post by adam » Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:34 pm

Mate Ill always post when I have something to say. I post because I love bowhunting so naturally I love to talk about it write about it and everything about it :lol: . So I don't and wouldn't won't anything in return. And id like other members to post because that want to not because "hey maybe I might win something" post so the rest of us injoy a read or for an opinion good or bad. Thats my say. Adam
True Wild Range Traditional Bowhunter

Dennis La Varenne

#4 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:15 am

Erron,
That little button thingy doesn't seem to be working.

Dennis La Varenne

Glenn Newell

#5 Post by Glenn Newell » Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:38 am

Erron I think that giving people a monthly incentive to post is a waste of time, I feel that way about all of the polls also. If people don't want to post they don't want to post, as a lot of people are shy and don't think that what they have to say is usefull, it wont matter how many times you tell people their thoughts are worthy it wont make any differance.
There are other people who wont post for very different reasons but I wont go into that here.
If you want the site to grow at the rate you would like it to I think you will be very dissapionted because with all sites and businesses there are high and lows and Australia is a very small audiance.
Even if people only log on and read with out posting then this site is being of a service. I know in my bow business people have rung me up three and four years after an article written about one of my bows wanting to purchase that bow the article was written about, even though I hardly had any enquiries at the time and thought what a waste of time and money.
I agree with you Dennis even though we are getting onto another subject here and this probably needs it own post but I also think that host of the hunting articles and videos leave people wide open to prosecution and it's about time we cleaned up our act. I for one do not approve in any way of a lot of hunters attitude to the game we hunt, but enough of this for now maybe we should get this subject into another thread...Glenn...

Tuffcity

#6 Post by Tuffcity » Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:03 am

Erron,

Don't feel that your efforts go unappreciated. I echo the sentiments of the other posts (regarding the usefullness of this site anyway :wink: ).

Traffic is going to ebb and flow depending who's doing what- look at the TBBC site, it can sit idle for weeks. But in the big picture the TBBC is also a small scale site.

You're providing a good, informative venue for people world-wide, not just downunders and I personally find it a refreshing perspective from the North American view of the bowhunting world. Or maybe it's just the way you folks speak :D

If things get too carried away maybe it would make sense to trim down the catagories on the discussion board or look for extra mods? But, having never run a site I don't know if that would reduce your work load or not.

But having said that, don't neglect the family for the sake of this site.

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

vegie

#7 Post by vegie » Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:53 am

erron,
I tried to vote but it did not work.
It would not make any difference tome if you offered a bribe to post or not. some free broadheads would be nice though :lol:

The site is great and i am sure it is just going through a quiet patch following its initial surge. If I think of anything intellegent i will try and post it.

Daryl

erron

#8 Post by erron » Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:50 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I just really want people to let me know if there's anything they want, or that I'm not doing etc.
On the other hand we tend to become very angry if we feel that our culture is in any way threatened as some of the merger business demonstrated.
- I hear you there, Dennis! :lol:

I don't know why the poll didn't work, I've redone it and would appreciate it if you'd try again.

cheers,

Erron

erron

#9 Post by erron » Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:17 pm

Just one last observation: I think Dennis is right about Aussies being shy. I’ve often posted a new thread and seen people chime in, but getting people to break the ice and actually start threads themselves is much harder.

Thanks again for the feedback!

:)

Erron

Dennis La Varenne

#10 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:56 pm

Wasn't me Erron. Glenn is the shy one.

Dennis

Tuffcity

#11 Post by Tuffcity » Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:24 pm

Aussies shy??? You fellas must keep those ones at home. :D Haven't met a shy one yet, particularly after a couple of Bundy's!

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:03 pm

The poll still isn't working Erron.

No, it wouldn't affect the rate I post :!:

Jeff

erron

#13 Post by erron » Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:08 pm

Damn, I don't know with this one! I redid it, and I can vote, so i'm beggared if I know.

Have to check the manual again :?

thanks for the feedback,

Erron

gundy

#14 Post by gundy » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:07 pm

I am here for the company mate, just not posting much because I am busy...

Is this going to be on the test? :( :wink:

Griffo

#15 Post by Griffo » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:17 pm

I heare ya Gundy... :D

gundy

#16 Post by gundy » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:25 pm

hey Griffo!

By the way Erron, I could not vote either. I came across a similar problem once, has this software got permission's? If so, they may not be turned on for general viewers and maybe for mods/admin only. That was what was wrong with other software I use to play with once...

TRASH

#17 Post by TRASH » Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:46 am

Eh
Erron i'm only here so i can hang a bit of poo on people and have fun its like shootin man , Ya gotta have fun doing it. Its the banter i look forward to more so than the technical side of things kinda like yarnin with ya mates at a campfire .Know what i mean
Keep up the excellant work mate !!!!!!
TOTALLY ROOTED AND STILL HUNTING

gundy

#18 Post by gundy » Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:53 am

TRASH wrote:Eh
...Its the banter i look forward to more so than the technical side of things....
Pipe down ya fat bastid! Cant ya see we are having a technical discussion here!

Was that good banter?! :wink:

Hey Trash, I am still waitin for that invite on thos pigs mate...although I may have blown it now! :shock:

TRASH

#19 Post by TRASH » Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:15 am

Thats it !!!!!
Gettin the hang of it now fella's, wont be long , you might end up a trashie yet.
But you would have to talk to CHALLA about the initiation side of things. :lol:
TOTALLY ROOTED AND STILL HUNTING

gundy

#20 Post by gundy » Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:21 am

okay okay, what happened to CHALLA? :shock:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#21 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:59 am

All I can say is - it's a very loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong drawn out process. It's been goin on over four years now but I'm determined to stick it out through all the hurtful things said and done to little Ol' me by those Trashies. :lol:

Gundy you will just have to experience it for yourself when the time comes. Nothin I can tell ya that will prepare ya I'm sorry. :roll:

Jeff

gundy

#22 Post by gundy » Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:02 am

okay Jeff, I am officially scared shitless now! :shock: :shock: :shock: The mind boggles....

:wink:

maybe I do not want to know!!!

Mark

#23 Post by Mark » Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:00 pm

Would make no difference to me.

Just a thought - maybe should be its own thread - by nature of what we do we are all, I would say, keen observers and appreciate the country we spend our time in hunting. We would all have a photo or two worth posting to give a visual hit for others of the type of country we enjoy. I don't mean dead animals, (though they can be done tastfully as well), more general sceens and wildlife.

A photo usually stimulates discussion. Can help putting faces to names as well (not sure if thats always a good thing :? )

A bonus might be that if we are talking antis then this might help even some of them begin to realise our affection for the bush.

Mark K.

erron

#24 Post by erron » Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:37 pm

Mark,

excellent idea! 8)

It struck me when I hunted with Guy Curtis (Gundy) how varied our country is, and how many differing habitats there are to hunt in.

I'm going to cut and paste your suggestion into new thread called "Show Me Where You Hunt!"

thanks!

:)

Erron

Basalt

Inducements to post

#25 Post by Basalt » Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:05 am

Howd'y Erron,
Firstly mate, you do a great job with ozbow and as I'm only new at this cumputer stuff I can only imagine how much time goes into running this site. I was reluctant to post anything at first because I didn't know what I was doing and didn't want to stuff anything up but it's not that hard. I bet there's a lot of keen bowhunters out there that think the same way. Well guys if I can post something anyone can, my wife reckons it took me two years to work out how to turn this thing on! :D I don't think inducements would make any difference I just think it will take a while for bowhunters to here about ozbow and get onboard. I spend half my time in the bush living, breathing and talking bowhunting and when I get home [not straight away] I get on here and see what you guys and girls have been up to and I find it enjoyable and interesting. I've been passing the word around camp about ozbow and I'll try and post a bit more stuff each time I come back from the bush. Keep up the good work mate but not forsake the family! Dennis is right of course but maybe it should be discussed in detail,somewhere else.
Life's short, hunt hard.

erron

#26 Post by erron » Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:05 pm

I've been passing the word around camp about ozbow
- good on you mate! :)

thanks for the feedback everyone, it helps to know where I 'm on track and not on track...

Erron

Daniel Banting

#27 Post by Daniel Banting » Sat Nov 22, 2003 8:05 am

Well, you are halfway around the world and I have to admit that I don't feel well connected, but I will try to post more often.

regards to all,
Dan

erron

#28 Post by erron » Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:23 pm

Sorry to be so long in replying to this Daniel, i missed it at first :oops:

Don't worry about the distance my friend, you're only a keystroke away really, and are always welcome :!:

Thanks for dropping by,

Erron

stace

#29 Post by stace » Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:39 pm

Erron Mate ,I was lost when the old site gradually became vacant and was overjoyed to finally find this one operating with lots of new faces from everywhere worldwide .
Your doing a great job with the site and look forward to see what the latest discussion is or who has been or going hunting
I am hoping to get a side line in bowmaking going in the new year and really like the help everyone gives to each other ,which is why I came over to Traditional to start with (everyone seemed more helpful)
Mate put the broadheads on your arrows on take the family bush
:P
Stace[/b]

erron

#30 Post by erron » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:36 am

Thanks Stace, good feedback, great advice! :)

Erron