New Owners Wanted for Ozbow!!!

Please read these regularly. They will convey where the Ozbow site is up to, what is planned & happening in the short term, responses to general feedback, and so on.

Moderator: Moderators

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

New Owners Wanted for Ozbow!!!

#1 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:37 am

This month marks nine years since Jude and I took over ownership of Ozbow. Many things have changed over that time. These include our health and what Traditional Archery has become to many people these days – lost in a fog of marketing and supermarket convenience, the heritage of which has been largely forgotten and ignored as irrelevant.

Lastly we wish to have more time to ourselves and with our family.

So the time has come for us to pass on the ownership of Ozbow!

The purpose of this thread is to find a person, or persons, to whom to pass on the ownership of Ozbow. There is no purchase price - it's free. However the new owners MUST commit to running the site in a professional manner and pay all ongoing site hosting and domain name registration fees which are presently paid up until the end of June 2015.

Another condition is that the site remains totally non-profit while it is being hosted under the present agreement with our current hosts.

From its inception Ozbow has been non-profit which is how we got such a great hosting deal with our current hosts - Spiderweb. Of course this can change if the new owners decide to go with new hosts etc.

I will say this; the ownership of Ozbow cannot be taken lightly as it does take dedication to run well.

Lastly, if we cannot get anyone to take over the ownership of Ozbow then I am afraid that the only other reasonable outcome will probably be to close the site down with the consequent loss to the traditional archer of the huge and comprehensive knowledge base that it contains.

If you have a real desire to see Ozbow continue and wish to discuss this further please PM me and we can then talk via telephone about all that is involved.

Jeff

Gringa Bows

Re: New Owners Wanted for Ozbow!!!

#2 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:07 pm

Be a shame to see Ozbow close but your not getting any younger mate ,you've done a great job over the years,but now its time for you to get on with your life.......only trouble is without you on here i wonder how long it will be before compounds are being classed as longbows :lol:

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:03 pm

If it's not a rude question Jeff, roughly what are your out of pocket expenses to run the site? This knowledge would be necessary to anyone contemplating taking on a share of the ownership of the site.

What about some sort of consortium of, say 5 willing members, each sharing the costs and the time required to keep the site running?

If this is a viable idea, I'd be willing to be one of them. I don't want to see the site closed down.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:51 pm

Thanks Rod.
Mick Smith wrote:If it's not a rude question Jeff, roughly what are your out of pocket expenses to run the site?
Mick,
Prior to our change to new hosts in the middle of last year it was approx $450 provided I got the technical help that I needed for free (which I did from a number of generous Ozbow members). When Mark organised changing the site over to Spiderweb they did the hosting of the site and domain name registration for $99 - extremely generous of them. As mentioned the owner did this mainly because Ozbow was non-profit. I think this arrangement could continue but I would have to check to be 100 per cent certain.

Having the necessary help on the technical side will be the biggest challenge, or at least it has been in the past.

Jeff

rodlonq

#5 Post by rodlonq » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:41 pm

Jeff, It is good you will be able to get away from the commitment and enjoy your life. Thank you deeply for your efforts and guidance in the past.

I would be willing to help new owners, however my input is limited to kicking in towards fees. I have no knowledge of how a website is run or other things computer related.

Cheers... Rod

bigbob

#6 Post by bigbob » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:09 pm

I am totally prepared to contribute to any running costs as well for any prospective new owners. My web savvy is such that I would be an impediment rather than an asset so can't help there.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

little arrows

#7 Post by little arrows » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:20 pm

pm sent Jeff.

cheers
sue

cmoore

#8 Post by cmoore » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:01 pm

Here's to Jeff for doing an outstanding job at running ozbow and attributing so much to the traditional archery community of Australia. A big thanks from me Jeff, and im sure all the other members wish you a big thank you to.

Cheers mate
Cameron
Set Happens

Chase N. Nocks

#9 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:01 pm

Mick Smith wrote:If it's not a rude question Jeff, roughly what are your out of pocket expenses to run the site? This knowledge would be necessary to anyone contemplating taking on a share of the ownership of the site.

What about some sort of consortium of, say 5 willing members, each sharing the costs and the time required to keep the site running?

If this is a viable idea, I'd be willing to be one of them. I don't want to see the site closed down.
I will take a little time to consider this option as well Mick.

I am having trouble finding the time to get on here for a chinwag most of the time so the commitment although shared would have to be serious.

Jeff, I think it would be pretty unanimous the gratitude and respect (although sometimes it might not seem it) for what you have done with Ozbow.

With your retirement from an administration role I would however look forward to more stories and photos from you especially of your travels :wink: :biggrin:

Regards
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

Scrub Bull

#10 Post by Scrub Bull » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:13 pm

If it helps the new owner I (or my son) can keep doing the technical stuff behind the scenes for a while, I don't have the time to do the day to day stuff.
Archery is a simple game, it's the mind that over complicates it.
www.tradbits.com.au

Mick Smith

#11 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:20 pm

I certainly don't want to see Ozbow closed down. I was hoping there would be 5 or more members who would be willing to take on the responsibility of running the site, but unfortunately, it looks highly unlikely at this stage.

I have tried to convince Traditional Archery Australia that Ozbow would be a great asset for them to own and run to promote traditional archery in this country, but I haven't heard back from them. It would seem fitting and logical for TAA and Ozbow to be one, IMHO. Unfortunately TAA doesn't seem to be very 'hands on' though.

I would take over the ownership and running of the site myself, except it would be just too much for me, in my current circumstances. I have just retired after 43 years in the one job and I plan to travel a lot. This means that I'm just not going to be available for much of the time. Add to that, I'm getting old and my health isn't the best these days. I would still be willing to be one of a committee of a 5 person admin team though. I could handle that.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by greybeard » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:59 pm

I would be willing to help out in a financial capacity but unfortunately I do not have the right mind set to administer a web site.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

bigbob

#13 Post by bigbob » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:10 pm

I don't have the necessary knowledge nor the right mind set to be able to run such a site, but similar to Daryl could offer some small financial incentive or could offer services in a group capacity in helping admin.
razorbows.com

Roadie

#14 Post by Roadie » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:22 pm

Mick, I don't think it would be a good idea for TRADITIONAL ARCHERY AUSTRALIA to take over OZ BOW, as I am the Sth Aust / NT, Rep I will vote against any move to take over. I have spoken to the TAA Public Relations & Events person, and told them of my decision. Have also spoken to the President and told him of my concerns. OZ BOW needs to independent. That is All I Have to say. Cheers Roadie.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:35 pm

Mick Smith wrote:I have tried to convince Traditional Archery Australia that Ozbow would be a great asset for them to own and run to promote traditional archery in this country, but I haven't heard back from them. It would seem fitting and logical for TAA and Ozbow to be one, IMHO. Unfortunately TAA doesn't seem to be very 'hands on' though.
Roadie wrote:Mick, I don't think it would be a good idea for TRADITIONAL ARCHERY AUSTRALIA to take over OZBOW,.......... OZBOW needs to be independent.
I agree with Grant on this one.

Jeff

Mick Smith

#16 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:45 pm

Yes, perhaps. It's good to have your eggs in more than one basket.

little arrows

#17 Post by little arrows » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:01 pm

Hi Mick,

As mentioned to your good self previously, TAA can/does use Facebook, there is no function of a Forum and I do not believe it would be in the best interest of all either, as Ozbow needs to remain independent.

cheers
sue

Ahtouk

#18 Post by Ahtouk » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:45 am

I'm in the same boat as most others in that I lack the technical knowledge but am willing to help financially as much as I can!

Sleepy

#19 Post by Sleepy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:16 pm

I'm willing to lend a hand on the technical side of things, just not on a daily basis though I'm afraid.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#20 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:54 pm

Thanks to all those who have responded in this thread or via PM. There have been numerous offers of help in both the administration and technical side of running the site and I say thank you.

I would like to take this opportunity to announce that Ozbow will have new owners. The new owners will take over the running of the site in early February and I will leave it to them to introduce themselves then.

The important thing is this ensures Ozbow continues on and remains the great resource that it is for the Traditional Bowhunter/Archer in this country.

Jeff

Mick Smith

#21 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:10 pm

That's great news Jeff! Isn't it great when everyone wins? You get a well deserved rest and a chance to do the things you've been wanting to do. The members of Ozbow get to carry on with the serious subject of talking trad archery. And, the new owners get their wish to own a great forum site.

bigbob

#22 Post by bigbob » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:34 pm

That indeed is great news Jeff. Just for myself I would like to send a big thank you for the countless hours and resources you have utilised over the last nine years. Trad archery is indeed indebted to you for providing this site and all the encouragement you have provided to newbies and veterans alike.
razorbows.com

Roadie

#23 Post by Roadie » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:06 pm

Well that is good news. Go and enjoy yourselves and travel, Aust is a Big Country, more time on the Bike for you and Jude, wind in your faces and not a care in the world. Cheers Roadie.