Image sizes

Please read these regularly. They will convey where the Ozbow site is up to, what is planned & happening in the short term, responses to general feedback, and so on.

Moderator: Moderators

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Image sizes

#1 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:59 pm

Image sizes are now set to a maximum of 1024px wide or deep and 350kb in size. This is a reasonable balance between hosting space, quality and download speed.

The image attachment size setting was actually set larger than this but unbeknown to Admin (Admin aren't limited in attachment sizes) members were limited to 200kb files. Mick Smith alerted us to the problem in a recent post.

After a few hours of searching google and help forums by Mark and myself Mark finally found a reference to the problem. It was a setting in a very obscure place in the boards settings. This setting has now been changed to the above. :biggrin:

Jeff

GrahameA

Re: Image sizes

#2 Post by GrahameA » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:17 pm

Thanks Jeff. :biggrin:

----------------

And before everyone goes mad with bigger images if the viewer (your) screen resolution is set to1024x??? and you load images that size they will not fit on the screen as the screen as shown has some are either side occupied by other bits and pieces. You will end up scrolling back and forth to see all of the image as will everyone who is using that level of resolution or below.

Have a read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:25 pm

Thanks Jeff and Mark. 8) I'm looking forward to testing the new limitations.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:58 am

GrahameA wrote:And before everyone goes mad with bigger images if the viewer (your) screen resolution is set to1024x??? and you load images that size they will not fit on the screen as......
Elaborating on the above may help to clarify the issue.

The first image is for a 4MP and 8MP camera and a monitor resolution set at 1024 x 768. Take note of the numbers in the yellow box.
1024 Resolution.jpg
1024 Resolution.jpg (198.88 KiB) Viewed 4803 times
The second image is for a 4MP and 8MP camera and a monitor resolution set at 1680 x 1050 [recommended for my Samsung monitor].
1680 Resolution.jpg
1680 Resolution.jpg (199.21 KiB) Viewed 4803 times
The third image shows an 8MP 3264 x 2448 pixel image compared to an A4 piece of paper.
A4 Size Compared To A 3264 x 2448 Pixel Image.jpg
A4 Size Compared To A 3264 x 2448 Pixel Image.jpg (155.83 KiB) Viewed 4803 times

How large are your photographs, use the calculator below to find out?

http://pixelyzer.com/image_size_calculator.html

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....