Yes, thats right....it is done. NEW FRONT PAGE!

Please read these regularly. They will convey where the Ozbow site is up to, what is planned & happening in the short term, responses to general feedback, and so on.

Moderator: Moderators

gundy

Yes, thats right....it is done. NEW FRONT PAGE!

#1 Post by gundy » Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:37 am

Erron finally cornered me in-between interstate trips to revamp the front page...my apologies for taking so long guys.

I have a head cold of late too (yes, Buford, I know: "With a head like that!..."), so I have been a bit slow.

All is done and seems to be working.

Let me know if you 'Hate it!'... :shock:

ozlongbow

#2 Post by ozlongbow » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:46 am

Gundy
Nice work mate it looks bloody wonderful. Very professional. Even if there's a pic of ol' Buford on it with that dang Cletus lurking in the background.
You is so clever.

Lindsay aka Cletus
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men."
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

erron

#3 Post by erron » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:05 am

Guy,

Thanks a million mate, you've done a great job.

Folks, this kind of thing takes a lot of work, so please show your appreciation by showering Guy with praise, or cruel humour if that's your bag (Buford, et al...) :lol:

One thing Guy: the pics load so fast on my machine some of them don't finish loading before they are replaced by the next one? Is this just me?

cheers,

Erron

ozlongbow

#4 Post by ozlongbow » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:13 am

Erron
Your connection is too fast and your PC is too new. Please replace with a slow as molasses dial up and a 486.
Cletus
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men."
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

erron

#5 Post by erron » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:18 am

And send offending articles to yourself, hmmmm?

:)

Erron

gundy

#6 Post by gundy » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:21 am

okay speedy gonzalas, I have slowed it down just for YOU!

;)

Now I am going back to bed with my cold... :x

erron

#7 Post by erron » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:47 am

DOH!

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Guilt-wracked apologies, sorry mate!

:cry:

Erron

gundy

#8 Post by gundy » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:21 am

he he he, achooooooo!

ozlongbow

#9 Post by ozlongbow » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:05 am

Erron
Nah I am happy with my PC from the former Soviet Union that runs on fermented potato skins. There is some plan of upgrading to diesel power but that's crazy talk. Next thing they will suggest electricty. Dang new fangled technology.
Cletus
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

Buford

#10 Post by Buford » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:50 am

Cletus,

danged if i aint' havin' the same malfunctions with my ol' fuse box, i've found with the old "Stalin 180B" that if ya use sweet tater skins soaked in shine from the Checz repulic, ya tend to be able to tweek a couple more ponies out of the thang.

later cuz.

Buford

ps. Brandine said for you to tell ya missus it's your turn to bring the pickled hogs feet for the hoe down. mmmm, Curly Sue is gonna have a fine weddin feast. yes sir-e! :D

or cruel humour if that's your bag (Buford, et al...)
erron made me do it! :D
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:21 pm

Great work Guy & Erron!!!

The front page looks great but I seem to be having a bit of trouble with it. This morning I was only getting about 5 photos show up and then nothing, but my download counter continued. In fact Jude opened the site this morning and left it on the home page and the download continued with nothing being opened. The download ended up being 22 meg by the time I discovered it.

I checked it now and only 3 photos show up and the download seems to continue to about 900kb and then the same 3 photos show again and the download starts all over again. Can you offer any suggestions??? :?

Thanks for your great effort in keeping this site open and up to date.

Jeff

erron

#12 Post by erron » Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:41 pm

Mate,

you have me stumped, but I sure would like to know what all your settings are on that old pc! :? We are working on it, but in the meantime, can you try the following:

(assuming you use Internet Explorer for browser)
  • Go to Tools/Internet Options
    Click Settings under Temporary Internet Files
    Ensure Amount of disk space to use is low: mine is 1192 mg and seems to do the job fine. Select okay an close window
    Back at Tools/Internet Options window click Delete Files
    Click the option to delete all offline files in the next window.
    Click ok and ok again after the files have deleted and you're back at the previous window.
That might help, otherwise can you contact your ISP and ask them if there is a problem their end?

Cheers,

Erron

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:43 pm

Thanks Erron. I did that but now I still get the constant download and only the first image that shows and nothing else. :(

The problem is ONLY with the home page and ONLY since it was changed. It does not happen with any other site or in any other part of this site so I haven't contacted my ISP as yet.

Anybody else having problems??? :?

Jeff

Buford

#14 Post by Buford » Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:30 pm

jeff,

yeah mate i'm having a prob that sounds the same. counter keeps ticking over for the next pic but they don't come up on the screen for quite a while and then all at once. :?

i put it down to the fact that my pc was origionally assembled by 9 year old tibetan monks
back when budda still wore a size 12!!! :lol: :lol:

i'm sure its just this and dial up that is the issue and not a prob with the wonderful work of erron and gundy :wink:

cheers
Buford

ps "no sarcasm was used in the making of this post :D :P "
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:16 pm

Buford,

Mate I just tried waiting and after nearly 2 meg of download I got to see one and a half other photos and then it went back to the opening photo and the download kept on going and one more photo opened. After nearly two and a half meg of download I gave up.

As long as I want to leave the home page open the download keeps on clicking over. Why???? To techy for this little black duck. :cry:

Jeff

#16 Post by Guest » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:03 pm

Pictures? What pictures?
I get one with boar and longbow. Didn't know there were any more...
Ignorance is bliss :oops:
Mark K.

erron

#17 Post by erron » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:05 pm

Okay, Houston, we have a problem!

:?

Any ideas Guy?

Erron

DAD

#18 Post by DAD » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:26 pm

Gday , dont realy care whot the front page is ,how fast or slow it is I just like this site ,think its great pity more of us knucle braging trad shooters, havent found it yet! But dont you worry I will keep chequeing on it , I am like a bad smell I just wont go away!!!
IF IT DONT FIT HIT IT WITH A BIGGER HAMMER

gundy

#19 Post by gundy » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:49 pm

Hey guys, you all have me stumped!

There are about 25 pics in all that rotate through a sequence from pic #1 to pic #25 and then back to pic #1 again and so on and so forth. Everytime you reload the page, it will start back at pic #1 which is the welcome GFX. They are extremeley small in size, each about 25Kb at most for a total of approx 900 Kb, even dial up and the slowest there is can handle this easily.

The thing is, once your system has sighted them all, they should cache and therefore no more downloads as it reads from this cache for future visits (until of course you clear your cache and it will need to do it again).

I have tested with Netscape, IE4.0 and above and in all resolutions and it's fine. I have even sent the site out to a few friends (some with old computers) and they all say it's fine...(???)

What version and type of browsers are the people having trouble using?

This is certainly a case of, "Dunno"....

Do we go back to a collage set-up?

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#20 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:16 pm

Hey Gundy, I thought you were in sick bay!

Hope this is the info you want - Windows XP with Microsoft Internet Explorer.

It has me beat but that doesn't take much when it comes to computers. Other than the welcome GFX the photos don't show just heaps of download and nothing showing for it. Only this site and this home page so I don't think it's my puter. Must be a little glitch somewhere. I hope it can be solved as I like the way the page is supposed to work.

Thanks

Jeff

gundy

#21 Post by gundy » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:23 pm

well, I am on the same system, so I do not know! :cry:

The code checks out.....

Nocky

#22 Post by Nocky » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:34 pm

Must admit that I thought the original page looked pretty good and I hadn't noticed anything at first with the new one, but as per the other guys, the picture doesn't change but the task bar says opening next picture in 2 secs and counts up to 4 then starts again?? Also using XP and IE6

Cheers
David

gundy

#23 Post by gundy » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:08 pm

very very strange!

About to try something else....hang 10...:)

gundy

#24 Post by gundy » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:53 am

Well, I checked the original code and all is ok....so...I dunno....

But, being the nice sort of guy that I am, staying up till 1am with a cold, I have included the option of a slideshow. The page loads with the show inactive, hit auto/stop to run it or stop it, or, you can simply 'flick' through them 1x1 using the next & previous buttons.

Now, I have checked the caching and it WORKS! Once it went through 1x cycle, none of the pics downloaded again, so I will be interested in your findings Jeff.

I wanted to try a little taskbar code too, so I added one in... :wink:

Please get back to me ASAP!

NOTE: I have set the time between the auto slideshow at 3 seconds, let me know if the entire pic loads before the next on dial ups, if not, I will slow it down a tad....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

#25 Post by Guest » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:02 am

I got the hat shirt and mug down the left now but that's all - no rotation.

I'm still in the dark ages with Win 98 and not sure how to tell what verson of explorer I have.

Mark K.

erron

#26 Post by erron » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:43 am

Mark and others,

go to Help/About Internet Explorer (in the top pull-down menus)

and a window opens showing the version. It will say something like 'version 6.02.008' or whatever. You need to have a later version I suspect, something that starts at 6.

Keep us posted; we'll get to the bottom of this and I'll owe Gundy a stack of beers!

:)

Erron

Tuffcity

#27 Post by Tuffcity » Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:02 am

Works fine for me, running XP with a 1G processor & 256K memory, 64K video card. Even the flowing welcome message at the bottom rolls out fine.

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#28 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:50 pm

Gundy & Erron,

My version is Explorer 6.02.008 etc.

I wanted to try a little taskbar code too, so I added one in...
You got me, don't know what that is???

Anyway here is the latest. I tried it this morning and it started working. It would open a few photos and then have one partly opened and would then start over. It did this numerous times until it loaded all the pics. It took 3 meg of download to do it - aren't I patient. :)

Now when I open the home page I hit auto and the slideshow works. It doesn't start automatically though. The downloading has also stopped so you must have changed something.

Thanks for all your effort. To me it isn't perfect yet but must be close to being right. :D

Jeff

gundy

#29 Post by gundy » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:03 pm

Mate, I stopped the pic cycle from starting on auto, you have to actually initialise it for it to start running. This gives the slower comps the choice of download or not...

I was in Melbourne today and checked it out on all manner of systems from 98, ME and XP - it all worked fine on every system tried, so I would say it is something with your settings (???)

I even used other browsers and its fine.

Sorry I can not be much more help...:(

He he, taskbar code is the little message that pops up bottom left on your browser and repeats. Do you see it?

Still not sure why it took 3 meg to download...There is not even a meg in the whole directory!

FYI - I am running 6.0.2600. IE

#30 Post by Guest » Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:06 pm

My version is 6.0.2800.1106

Mark K.